Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

AC 9 starts very slow.

Anonymous
Not applicable
AC 9 starts very slow.... It takes over 3 minutes....
Is something wrong?

-sorry for my bad english...but I speak worse than writing...
But spellCheck is great thing.
24 REPLIES 24
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
samsung,
Is it PC or MAC? remember that ever time you close down and start up ArchiCAD on your PC, ArchiCAD installs a virtual printer, _temporary ArchiCAD publisher.

But 3 mins does seem a long time. Are you opening a file or just an empty document?

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
What is virtual printer? Amuyni?
It takes about 2min.,but sometimes longer, or "no reaction", than I can select new or old project, than again about one min.

ArchiCAD 9, Window XP with SP2
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
samsung wrote:
What is virtual printer? Amuyni?
It takes about 2min.,but sometimes longer, or "no reaction", than I can select new or old project, than again about one min.

ArchiCAD 9, Window XP with SP2
Yes it is the Amuyni PDF converter. Do you have a lot of RAM? Have you got a lot of other processes running in the background? All of these things can effect the performance of ArchiCAD.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ben,
How long does it take with your computer?
I guess, my computer is quite ok with performance.
Compared to former version of AC it takes much longer till starting.
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
It takes around 45-50 seconds for a file that is 2.5MB in size.

Quiet acceptable, well for me any way.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another way to speed up ArchiCAD's start up is to control where it looks for the hardware key. On the PC (they've changed this on the Mac and I'll have to look for it when I get to my Mac) open the WIBU-KEY in the control panel.

On the Network tab, if you have a key attached directly to your computer you can tell ArchiCAD not to look over the network for the key, which it seems is always the first place it looks (see picture)

On the Setup tab, you can tell ArchiCAD where to look when the key is attached to you computer. In the picture below we are telling ArchiCAD to look at the USB ports; all others have been disabled.

When I get to my Mac, I'll tell Macsters how to do this unless someone else chimes in first.

Cheers,
Woody
WIBU-KEY.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another way to speed up ArchiCAD's start up is to control where it looks for the hardware key. On the PC (they've changed this on the Mac and I'll have to look for it when I get to my Mac) open the WIBU-KEY in the control panel.
Thanks for the tip
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Ben and Woodster.
I have disabled virtual printer through registr.,
and changed WIBU Key.

It takes about 15 sec., till AC asks the next action.

Power Speed!!
Anonymous
Not applicable
woodster wrote:

On the Mac, no WIBU management software gets loaded unless one downloads the WIBU Driver from the Graphisoft Support web site. But don't rush out to download it. It seems as if the Mac finds doesn't have to search for the key every time the software loads up; ArchiCAD seems to look for the Wibu software which in turn already knows where the key is. Maybe someone from GS could correct me if I'm wrong on that...

woodster