Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Graphics Card upgrade for MAC

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am currently using a G4 933 mhz, with 1GB of Ram but only a 32 meg graphics card which was ok for V7 but doesn't meet the minimum requirement for V8, I need to upgrade and have been offered a choice of 2 from our Mac dealer which are as follows;

ATI Radeon 9000 Pro 64MB AGPx2
ATI Radeon 9800 AGP Graphics card 128MB

The first one is in the open GL compatability report and passed the test with a few minor problems but I can find no information on the second one.

As I work on quite large models everyday I need to convince my employer to invest in the 128mb version but need some evidence that it will work ok with Archicad 8 as it is a lot more expensive but if it doesn't work I will be in deep ****

Are there any MAC users out there who have used the 9800? or are there any other suitable cards available that perform well?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Chris
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
I am in the same situation ... using a G4 867 Dual, 1 GB Ram and a 32MB Geforce graphic card.

I am working with AC8.1, C4D, Adobe CS.
As I am student I can not spend much money on a new graphic card, but perhaps someone can advice a cheap one making my work faster ...

My favorite cards are those from ATI, I have made better experiences in the past ...
Dwight
Newcomer
I use the 9800 with 128 Megulons as I drive 2 -21" displays at 1200x1600 - this will soon be obsolete as Apple's 30" display needs a new noisy and hot card to drive it.

The card is flawless in most respects, but there is a glitch with ArchiCAD 9 where occasionally the plan window area gets confused. This was acknowledged as a bug and I am awaiting the final release to see if it is repaired.

Further complicating this is my penchant for Bubble Trouble, a cute game that switches screen resolution automatically and may be the cause of the glitch.

As far as a cheap card, almost anything with 64 mg is enough.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
See: two questions answered with one message.
Dwight Atkinson
Dwight
Newcomer
BTW _ the 128 mg has little to do with the model size - more important is 3D window size and texture complexity.

And the size of screen real estate you are driving. OpenGL 3D windows use the VPU most.

So you can function on one display just fine with 64 Mg so 9600 card is adequate.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Dwight 🙂
Dwight wrote:
See: two questions answered with one message.

you´re the man, 2in1 that is impossible
Dwight
Newcomer
Especially since I used one to congratulate myself.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
I got an offer for a:

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra , AGP, 64 MB

does this card working in my G4 867 Dual ? or is it only for G5s ?
Dwight
Newcomer
Time for:

http://www.apple.com/support/

How do you get power on top of that mountain?
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
How do you get power on top of that mountain?

I build my own little power stadion here, was a student research project,
now there are some dwarfs working for me, carrying coals or something else, so I never lose my power ....

I got a ATI Radeon 9000 with 128MB at eBay for a small price, so thank you for supporting Dwight ... perhaps I will write my experiences