Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Installation (Win XP Home) / New User (brand spanking new)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Greetings and salutations!

I am not having any success with installing Archicad 8.1 onto my computer. It seems that the installation files are not recognized by Windows...
My apologies for sounding like a complete noob (I am) and for perhaps asking some "too" basic questions.

My wife is a draughtsperson who is very experienced with Archicad 8.1 on a Mac platform. We have a PC at home - is the software the same for both platforms?

I have been perusing the forums looking for some specific advice on my problem but have come up empty handed...

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Please help.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi and welcome to the architalk forums.

Yes the installer CD is dual platform as is the dongle.

Are you using a PC that has XP or Windows 2000, I dont think earlier versions are compatible.

I was tempted to say you should buy a mac, but whilst that would greatly increase your computing joy, it wouldnt help your immediate problem.So I wont

I'll perhaps leave you to some windows using architalkers to help you out further.

(sorry I didnt see your subject heading -I see you use XP home)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey lennox, Thanks for the welcome and answering one of my queries... now I know it isn't a problem with the particular software / registry key (dongle?) on my pc.

For you PC Archicad fans out there...
Perhaps to help clarify things... It doesn't seem to open up an install wizard as every other software has ever done.

When I click the install icon, it does the: "I don't recognise the file, go to the internet to get the software" thing.

Now I'll be the first to admit my computer troubleshooting skills are at best - minimal, so I'm stumped!
Djordje
Virtuoso
Isaac wrote:
Hey lennox, Thanks for the welcome and answering one of my queries... now I know it isn't a problem with the particular software / registry key (dongle?) on my pc.
1. You have to have Administrator privileges on your XP when you boot up

2. Close all Norton antiviruses and other c*r*a*p that resides in the taskbar (lower right corner of your screen)

3. Do NOT put the dongle in!

4. Slide the CD in; if it does not autostart, go to Run and find the Setup.exe manually

5. When the install is finished, it will ask you to restart. Do so. When the computer is restarted, plug the dongle in any USB that is handy if you need to remove it often or concealed if it stays there. XP will recognize the dongle and offer automatic installation, which you should accept.

6. Done

Hm?
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Perfect!

Success!

Brilliant!

Yippie!

etc...

All up and running. Thank you for taking the time. It all seems quite simple really now that it has been done.

Thanks again,

Isaac.