BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

[OSX] Archicad 20 not starting because of "missing template"

Anonymous
Not applicable
Went from Archicad 19 to 20 without uninstalling 19.

After installation was complete I uninstalled 19 using the "uninstall.ac" executable that is in the app folder. Restarted.

Autocad 20 wouldnt start because:

Problem: Latest Project Settings and
factory default template Project are missing or damaged.

ARCHICAD needs a valid template Project to start from.

then I decided to reinstall ARCHICAD 20. Same problem.

Checked where the template should be (defaults folder) and it is there, archicad 20 template or something like that, with TPL extension.

Any ideas what im doing wrong? im on El Capitan btw.
3 REPLIES 3
Karl Ottenstein
Strange. Haven't heard of anything like that happening before. Just FYI, unless you really don't need it, you never need to uninstall old versions unless you're 100% sure you'll never need them again.

I'm guessing that some OS X "Preference" is corrupt.

I would suggest uninstalling 20 again, and then following the steps in this article to delete all ArchiCAD related preferences:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/troubleshooting/setup/preferences-cleaning/

Then, reinstall and hopefully all will be fine. Immediately do a Check for Updates and download the most recent update for AC 20 and install it before doing any real work.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Strange. Haven't heard of anything like that happening before. Just FYI, unless you really don't need it, you never need to uninstall old versions unless you're 100% sure you'll never need them again.

I'm guessing that some OS X "Preference" is corrupt.

I would suggest uninstalling 20 again, and then following the steps in this article to delete all ArchiCAD related preferences:

http://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/troubleshooting/setup/preferences-cleaning/

Then, reinstall and hopefully all will be fine. Immediately do a Check for Updates and download the most recent update for AC 20 and install it before doing any real work.
Uninstalled Archicad, did the steps, then reinstalled, and I have a new error

But I think I messed up this time. It said to delete specific Graphisoft/Archicad files. I deleted any graphisoft or archicad file that I found. Thought this wouldnt matter since im supposed to be able to install everything from the installer and wouldnt need those files.

Now I see this http://imgur.com/a/gI2IG

Im lost now.

As to why I uninstalled 19: I have a 128 ssd 13 inch macbook pro retina, so I try to squeeze as much storage as I can from it.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I am not a Mac guy, but this may be a permission issue. ARCHICAD is trying to create that file but the system doesn't allow it to.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!