Due to a scheduled maintenance, a maximum 20 minutes license delivery outage may be expected on July 6 2024 (Saturday) between 6PM to 8PM (CEST).
Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Running ArchiCAD through Remote Desktop Connection and VPN?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Our office is using ArchiCAD 8 on PC's after being an all-Mac office for many years. My computer at home is a dual G5 Mac. I am interested in using Remote Desktop Connection and a VPN to remotely control my office computer from home. So far it is working well, with 1 exception - ArchiCAD. When I try to launch ArchiCAD, it says something along the lines of "remote terminal sessions not supported" and then quits. I don't think that taking the dongle home and launching AC from there would work as there isn't really a link between my hard drives and the office hard drives. In my search of this site, some have reported being able to access a server version of AC, but apparently not the single-user version.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

Thanks in advance.

Eric
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
You don't want to run ArchiCAD over a VPN. You can bring the hardware key home, running a local copy of ArchiCAD and access files on your server or, if you have a network key at your office, run ArchiCAD at home accessing the network key and files over the VPN.

We have several very happy clients working this way.

Woody
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your help, Woody.

We don't have network licenses, just the individual dongles at each computer. When I am logged in to the VPN in Mac OS X and am running Remote Desktop Connection, I am remotely seeing and operating my PC at work, but the files and hard drives at work do not show up in my finder window. How do I get my Mac to see the PC drives at the office in order to be able to open them?
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
ArchiCAD 9 will allow you to run it over a Remote desktop or VNC connection.
For file sharing, just replace your MAC with a PC
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is a feature in Remote Desktop Connection where I can now see my Mac's hard drive on my work PC in the RDC window. Can anyone tell me how I can get my Mac to see my work files so I can run ArchiCAD locally on my Mac, but accessing the files from work?

I do not want to copy files back and forth, some of them are over 100MB in size, just for the AC model.