-still no 'visual' object builder
-version upgrade must be managed and can be problematic
A reasonably simple method to address this issue - the "part-module":
-create an object with native archicad elements. Copy and save as module from clipboard.
-Save modules into a dedicated folder for the project.
-Hot-link modules into the file and place as required.
-These "part-modules" can be updated easily by updating the MOD file.
However to really get this technique to work, some things Graphisoft could implement that would help:
- create the possibility of "part-modules" nested within projects - much like worksheets
- allow for different 'stories' setup in "part-module'"
- enable different plan cut level in part module so that plan symbol can be tailored.
- allow in place editing of placed instances of these "part-modules" so that these can easily be updated
- enable defining parameters of an element (e.g. wall height, width, length etc.) rather than a fixed number.
- enable definition of relationship between elements
Yes - I can hear all the GDL gurus groaning but for most users this approach is something they might use! Comments?
Don't expect any groaning from the gurus. Something like this has been needed and a top wish list item for a long time. Some 3rd party attempts have been made but without some internal changes to GDL and ArchiCAD I think such efforts are doomed.
Though the particulars could be (and have been debated) I think most would agree with your proposal in general. It's hard to say if we'll ever see it though