Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

About the debugger

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello

My question concerns the debugger.
Before ( AC 6.5 ) I could advance step by step in my 3D script and see moving, in the 3D window, the local origin/ global origin and seeing placements of my different 3D elements in real time. Now AC always recalculates the 3D window and I must refresh it at each step if I need to control the 3d script. It's visually not practical for verifying each transformation. Somebody has a solution or nobody uses again this interactive educative tool?
Thank for your help
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
no response ? Is this kind of tool too "vulgar" for the GDL "purist " developers ?Indeed I found this graphic interpreter step by step, precious and didactic for showing how the language GDL is running. Do I believe I am alone to share this opinion and in that case.... Sad for me, for my trainees, my students!
Frank Beister
Mentor
Do I believe I am alone to share this opinion and in that case...
I use it only, if there is no other hope for rescue. It is not working, as good debuggers should. For moire complex objects it does not work at all, because it does work only in one context. And that not with full functionality. To use it for teaching or learning is a good idea. I don't know, if it has changed since 6.5. Maybe.
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
masse,
the current GDL environment is an obsolete piece of junk that sucks as it has been neglected for a long time... one day we will have a proper tool for this and I wish to see a glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel very soon...
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
F. wrote:

It is not working, as good debuggers should.

Hello Frank and Rob

Thank you for your answers. Shall I understand that I have to post a message in the wishes's party to ask GS to remove the parts of program which doesn't work well ?
Is it possible that GS listen us ? Of course that's another question .....?

Best regards
Karl Ottenstein
The debugger in 10 works just fine for me.

Are you using the BREAKPOINT command to set a breakpoint in your script, then clicking the debugger run button to proceed to that point(s), then stepping? The 3D window shows step by step movement of the local 'cursor', appearance of constructed objects, etc, just as it should. If you add 'watches' for variables, their values update properly. No problem that I know of.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.9, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Karl or anyone who knows!

I've noticed the debugger before but have no idea how it works.
Is there any chance you could explain briefly what it does and the workflow involved. I haven't found any reference to it in the help files. Maybe I'd find it's quite useful to me if I knew what I'm meant to do with it!!

Thanks in advance,

Pete.