Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

ArchiCad loses objects when updated

derekjackson
Expert
Hi,
I created a couple of GDL objects which other team members were happily using.

They then requested a tweak to the objects' code which I carried out. Unfortunately when I then replaced the objects on our server with the updated versions, the users were given the message 'Missing library part' and the original objects were replaced with black dots.

Why did this happen if I didn't change the name of the object (and simply overrode the original)? Does Archicad reference something other than the filename when looking for objects?

Any advice much appreciated!

Thanks,

Derek
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
This wiki article contains information that
may be relevant to your issue.
http://www.archicadwiki.com/GUID?action=show&redirect=GUID+in+ArchiCAD12
Peter Devlin
Anonymous
Not applicable
In case you are disinclined to read through all the details of GUIDs...

The short answer is that ArchiCAD uses an internal ID to track the parts and not the file name. If you replace a part with a different one of the same name ArchiCAD will see it as different and you will get the dots.

I am guessing you did a "Save as" when you created the revised part and then replaced the original with the new one.

If you can't identify (or no longer have) the original part to re-revise you may be able to update the old instances to the new part with the syringe tool in the settings dialog.
derekjackson
Expert
Hi all,
sorry to drag up an old post!

Still having issues with various people in our office not finding objects that I've created and amended.

The process I've used, is to create an object and initially save it with Save As. From then if I need to amend the object, I've been careful to only use 'Save', and note the date of any amendments in the comments section of the object.

Is this the standard process used by Graphisoft when they update objects in the basic library?

According to the GUID wiki this process should be fine, but we still have cases where people load their libraries and the object is missing, or still using the old version. Just trying to establish whether the issue is with my process, or something to do with our servers updating.

We're still on AC12, by the way.

Thanks, Derek
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,
Still having issues with various people in our office not finding objects that I've created and amended.
Been there and seen that

Opening objects outside ArchiCAD dialogs (ie. choosing files with Finder and Open with ArchiCAD...) might cause the hassle.

I recommend;
- load the library to be modified
- place the object to be modified in the plan
- select the object and Open object...
- always only Save

Should be a bullet proof way.

Hope this helps.