Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Best tool for objects?

JGoode
Expert
Hello,

so obviously GDL is the best option for intelligent objects but what I am wondering is between slabs + columns and morph, which is the better option for creating objects that don't need to be as intelligent as a purely GDL scripted object? Which of those options are better when it comes to editing within GDL afterwards?

Thanks
ArchiCAD 23

Windows 10
1 REPLY 1
Barry Kelly
Converting standard elements to GDL over-complicates them a bit in my opinion - never used to seem so bad in the older versions of Archicad as it does now.

A slab will become a 'CPRISM_'
A column and wall will become an "SPRISM_'
A morph will become a hole series of 'Vert', 'Edge', 'Vect' and 'Pgon' - definitely the most complicated to try and edit in the script.

You will also get a whole bunch of 'GLOB_' variables as well (which you can probably delete) and possibly everything will be in 'GROUPs' which can complicate things further.

Stick to the simple slab, column and wall if you have to but in my opinion if you are converting simple elements like that to GDL then you are better off scripting them yourself with much simpler commands.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11