cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Can I Creat Objects on Multiple Layers?

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be useful to have an object on multiple layers. For instance, 2D electrical symbols shown on a reflected ceiling plan do not need to have text shown, whereas on the electrical floor plan the 2D symbol + text is required. (see attached)

So if I want objects with the ability to show some parts "on" and other parts "off" within the object according to the sheet (ie Electrical Plan sheet vs Reflected Ceiling Plan sheet) - anybody know a way to do this?[/img]
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rather than layers, something that responds to Model View Options might be possible. I have no idea how it works, but as you can see in my image below, MVO's allow Cadimage objects to have labels display in a variety of ways. There are options for GDL objects from standard library too, but nothing relating to text or labels.

As I say, I have no idea how any of this is scripted, but it looks like it is feasible. Good luck.
Screen Shot 2015-01-13 at 11.07.17 AM.png
sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.
Like Stuart said, Model View Options would be the best thing in this case. It requires a bit of GDL knowledge. It is not very hard, but it's not a walk in the park either if you haven't gone into GDL a bit.

In simple terms, you have the object that you want different representations for, based on MVO. You then create a new object, a Library Global Object, and in that object you create the parameters that will be controled in MVO (the text visibility in your case).

Then, from the main object, you ask your Library Global object for the current state of your parameter and give that to your object.

You could create a single Library Global object for your entire office library.

James Murray has a quick (but more detailed) overview of this here.

Layers and combos will get you through, but it would be better if the text is a label (which will have its own layer) as it will move with the object even if it is not shown while you edit the object's position.

Hope that helps.
Best regards.
Barry Kelly
You can't have objects on multiple layers but as Stuart mentioned you can use the values of the MVO options in your object scripts.
This is fine so long as they are your own objects and you can alter them (and know how to do it of course).
I wouldn't recommend altering Graphisoft or 3rd party objects unless you duplicate them (save as) with a new name in a new library folder.

In particular the MVO option you are looking for is ... REQUEST ("floor_plan_option", "", storyViewpointType)

This will result in a value of '0' (floor plan or '1' (ceiling plan) that will change based on your MVO setting.
You can then make your object show different configuration with if/then/else commands.

Or you can have even more control through MVO if you create your own Library Global parameters and use these in your scripts.
You can then control pretty much whatever you want - pen colours, line types, text on/off, even the size, font and colour of the text. And you can add parameters to completely change the way your object looks based on these parameters.

You can do all this individually in each GDL object but with MVO settings you can control them all globally.
But you need to know GDL scripting.

You can see examples of what MVO control you can have if you open the MVO settings dialogue and look at the section for the Graphisoft library objects - or of course the image that Stuart attached to his post.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you all for the recommendations, very helpful. I will go in the MVO direction and report back.