Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Ceiling Editor object for design

Message from the Moderator:
We have created this new thread for the discussion of the Ceiling Editor Object.
There have been some questions regarding it as can be seen from the following few posts.
From post 5 of this thread you can find the detailed introduction and explanation of how the object works:

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=208515&highlight=#208515

Please use this thread for the discussion of this Object.
Thanks

Bricklyne's original post:

Cross-posted these questions/suggestions for the new object over at LinkedIn, just in case anyone hasn't seen them.

Having not had a chance to try it yet, the obvious question (for me, at least) is how this object behaves in terms of 2D representation in plan and more pointedly RCP's (Reflected ceiling plans.) and if it does so, to what degree of control and manipulation can a user control the plan representation (LineWeights, Fills, symbolic representation of lights, vents, sprinklers etc) ad information, in conjunction with other ceiling plan information (like electrical light wiring layouts, possibly MEP info, and ceiling finish and material information).
And if not, would it mean having to re-reproduce all this information in 2D for the aforementioned reflected ceiling and lighting/electrical/finish plans?

It would be nice to have some level of consistency and correlation, if not parametric associativity, between what is displayed in the 3D and 2D windows without having to duplicate everything everytime and going back and forth during every change in either of the windows.

The other question would be whether there would be any possibility of having the objective version backward compatible, as in readable in ArchiCAD's pre-version 16 formats (specifically versions 14 and 15).

Otherwise, great object and nice start to the Wish upon an Object initiative so far.
31 REPLIES 31
tonyfitz
Booster
I have been using the Ceilnig Editor INT object in a large hospital project we are working on and so far it has been working fine until yesterday...

Unfortunately if you generate a 3D image from the file with the layer that this object is on then everything disappears, however if you place a marque around the whole building and regenerate it will show up.

If you turn the layer off with the ceiling object on it then the building will generate in 3D, so the ceiling object has been labelled as the culprit by those looking to utilise a more primitive approach to ceilings plans (even though we are also being told that this will be a BIM project with builders working digitally rather than from paper plans at construction stage so want the building to be as accurate as possible....

I have today to work out what he problem could be or the very useful and easy to use ceiling object will be replaced by slabs and fills.

Does anyone have any insight into what our problem may be ?

One thing I have noticed is that when generating a 3D view without a marquee and with the ceiling object layer on that the view distances, etc in the 3D view settings are astronimcal....
Tony Fitzpatrick
Head of BIM
www.aw2.fi

Co-Founder / CEO
www.the bimcrowd.com
Barry Kelly
tonyfitz wrote:
One thing I have noticed is that when generating a 3D view without a marquee and with the ceiling object layer on that the view distances, etc in the 3D view settings are astronimcal....
Sounds to me like the ceiling object has generated a node way off in the distance so that when you view it in 3D without the marquee the overall size is so large your model is reducing to be almost invisible.
You may be able to see the nodes for where it is if you select all in the 3D window.

How you can solve this I don't know - you will have to edit whatever is causing this problem in the ceiling object.
You can't just cut off the offending portion.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11