BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Easy way to change library parts in model from AC 7 to 8.1?

Anonymous
Not applicable
This probably has already been answered. If so can somone tell me how to find the answer. If not - Is there an easy way to change all library parts already in a project created in either AC 6.5 or 7 from 6.5 or 7.0 library parts to 8.1 library parts without having to change each library part individually. Can one also keep the attributes of these library parts that have already been defined in the model and not have to redefine each part from the default values?
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Is nothing easy with your problem.
• The big letdown with Archicad is the seemingly ephemeral library part. It was promised to be designed to transcend version and is not. This soon will be recognized as the Achille’s heel of the program..

In my understanding and this is what was promised no new release would invalidate library part.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your prompt reply. Hopefully someone else might have a suggestion.
Djordje
Ace
jdrulon wrote:
This probably has already been answered. If so can somone tell me how to find the answer. If not - Is there an easy way to change all library parts already in a project created in either AC 6.5 or 7 from 6.5 or 7.0 library parts to 8.1 library parts without having to change each library part individually.
Two ways.

1. The updated libraries are available for download on the Graphisoft US Technical Resources web site, http://tr.graphisoftus.com

2. Make a PLA of the project in question, open it in 8.1. Under the Special Menu, choose Update library parts command. Save as PLA, use as a library. Repeat for 7.

HTH,
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for your help. I have tried to do what you said but cannot find the "Special Menu" after I open the file in 8.1 and alos cannot find Update library parts command. What am I doing wrong?
David
Djordje
Ace
jdrulon wrote:
Thank you for your help. I have tried to do what you said but cannot find the "Special Menu" after I open the file in 8.1 and alos cannot find Update library parts command. What am I doing wrong?
David
Nothing much; the Special menu is not documented as it contains comands that have to be used at your own risk.

If you are on Windows, Special menu can be switched on permanently in the Registry editor. See attached.

On a Mac it is the Command (Apple) + Option keys that enable the Special Menu.
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks agian for you help. Unfortunately the window you pasted into your reply is too small for me to read. I have located the resedit.exe but am not sure what to do from there. Can you send me an enlarged view of what you posted or a description of what I haould do once I open the resedit window. Thanks.
David
Djordje
Ace
jdrulon wrote:
Unfortunately the window you pasted into your reply is too small for me to read.
Did you click on the thumbnail?

With the ArchiCAD closed:

Start Regedit.

Find HKey_Current_user/Software/Graphisoft/ArchiCAD 8.1.0 Int (US in your case I suppose) R1. Click on Special Menu in the right hand window, change from 0 to 1. Close Regedit.

Remeber, you are doing this at your own responsibility!
Djordje

HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I realized that you could click window and enlarge it. Thanks.
I have gotten to where you change the value but would like to be somewhat cautious based upon your warning. What is the risk here? Should I save an extra copy of this project file before proceeding or can I mess more than just this project file up?
Djordje
Ace
jdrulon wrote:
I realized that you could click window and enlarge it. Thanks.
Welcome
I have gotten to where you change the value but would like to be somewhat cautious based upon your warning. What is the risk here? Should I save an extra copy of this project file before proceeding or can I mess more than just this project file up?
There is no risk to the project if you are going to use only the Update library parts command. However, some of the others may have adverse impact - I personally never had any troubles, and the first thing after installing a new version is to switch the Special menu on!

Jump in, the water is fine 😉
Djordje

HP Omen
Learn and get certified!