Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL Scripting the Following

toman311
Enthusiast
I am trying to make a parametric door leaf that can be used in multiple projects. It's a custom cabinet door, but it will be saved as a custom door leaf. I attached a picture of the profile that I don't know how to GDL script. I am hoping someone on this website can explain to me how this would be possible. The goal is to model that profile and have it be parametric.

I have been drawing through GDL script to make my custom cabinet doors, but I don't know how to script this.

woodmont-panel-profiles-only-2013.jpg
>ArchiCAD 23, 7000 USA FULL

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
13 REPLIES 13
toman311
Enthusiast
Thanks for the help! I attached a picture showing the successful ISECTGROUP.
I'll look into the CUTPLANE as well.

>iMac, 27-inch, 2020, Processor: 3.8 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i7, Memory: 64 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Graphics: AMD Radeon Pro 5500 XT 8 GB
toman311
Enthusiast
I have been trying to figure out how to do what I am trying to do with the TUBE tool. TUBE is very confusing. I can't seem to figure out what the path points represent. I got the shape I wanted from the TUBE tool with trial and error, but I need to make the shape parametric. So, I am confused on that since I don't really understand how the TUBE tool script works. It appears to me that I am struggling with the path of the TUBE and not the polyline profile. Of course, I could be wrong and maybe I drew the profile wrong.

Do you, or anyone, have any enlightenment for me with regards to the TUBE tool? It's really upsetting that I can't figure it out!

sinceV6
Advocate
Hi.

Play with this in a new object and paste in 3D script:

x=1
y=2
status=3

!array of points and status info
DIM pt[][]
pt[1]=0
pt[1]=0
pt[1][status]=0

pt[2]= -0.1				!<-- play with this value, positive and negative values.
pt[2]=0
pt[2][status]=0

pt[3]=0
pt[3]=0.1
pt[3][status]=0

PUT pt

TUBE 3,						!<-- cross shape # of nodes
8,							!<-- path nodes + 2 tangent nodes
1+2+16,						!<-- mask, this example includes edges to see where path starts and ends

GET(nsp),
!!!pt[1],pt[1],0, 	!<-- these are the points passed through PUT/GET, values were stored in array
!!!pt[2],pt[2],0,
!!!pt[3],pt[3],0,

0,0,0,0,					!<-- orientation node for first path surface, used 0,0
A/2,0,0,0,					!<-- first path node, begins at A/2, look 3D to see this
A,0,0,0,
A,B,0,0,
0,B,0,0,
A/2,0,0,0,					!<-- last path node
A,-B,0,0					!<-- end orientation node. Defines orientation of last face, replace (-B) with 0 to see how it changes shape

LIN_ A/2,0,0, A,-B,0		!<-- just a line to indicate how the last orientation node is defined here. This is NOT the normal of the last face,
							!--- but the face that would generate if the path continued that way. A bisector face, in essence.

Hope that helps you understand a bit. Read the GDL documentation. But actually read it... I'm talking about those deep plunge reads that need to be done to completely understand technical text. I can say that the docs are really good, but too technically accurate and not very every-day-user friendly They need 110% attention to understand thoroughly.

Best regards.
toman311
Enthusiast
Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it! I've read "Introduction to Object Making with ArchiCAD: GDL for Beginners". It looks like the same author wrote the GDL Cookbook. I plan on reading the GDL Cookbook when work is slower, which, right now, it is! Hopefully I'll get to read it before the office gets ridiculously fast again.

I attached a picture of the cabinet door I was wanting to make just to show you what I did with your help. There's a lot of parametric abilities with this cabinet.
Screen Shot 2017-09-06 at 4.28.33 PM.png