BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL Text In-Out OSX.3 ACAD 8.1 NETWORK

Alex Moruzzi
Participant
Hi there,
My problem is as follows... I did an gdl object for having a trace of the plans we issue and their modifications.
This object used to work with the "gdl tex in-out" extension writing the modifications in a folder located on the server. While this all worked well in Archicad 6.5 (even in classic mode 10.3) with a simple alias, the gdl text in-out extension refuses to work that way in archicad 8.1 !!!

The worse is that it works if the "archicad data folder" is not an alias.

What I have tried until now is doing the alias method and the symbolic link from the terminal.

PLEASE HEEEELP,

Alex
Archicad 19 - OSX10.10 - MBP early 2011 16G/ssd
5 REPLIES 5
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Alex wrote:
This object used to work with the "gdl tex in-out" extension writing the modifications in a folder located on the server. While this all worked well in Archicad 6.5 (even in classic mode 10.3) with a simple alias, the gdl text in-out extension refuses to work that way in archicad 8.1 !!!
The worse is that it works if the "archicad data folder" is not an alias.
What I have tried until now is doing the alias method and the symbolic link from the terminal.
If I understand your situation correctly, you could try attaching a 'Folder Action' to the local data folder which automatically transfers all incoming files to the network folder. Let me know if you aren't familiar with Folder Action scripts.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Alex Moruzzi
Participant
Not a bad idea, but in that case it would work one way (copy to the server) but modifications made by other users to the server folder would not upgrade mine....

shall I run a sync every time archicad is launched ? Not too complicated but once one forgets to do it ...

I'll keep that in mind in case no one has a better idea (r3?)

Thanks again
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Maybe you should write a MasterGDL. gdl file which would be placed into your loaded Libraries. Then every time the Libraries are loaded, the MasterGDL script is executed, the update is done. From there on, it does not require user action so it won't be forgotten.
Laszlo
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Alex Moruzzi
Participant
I just don't understand how a GDL (even master) script would be written in order to update a folder with documents in it...
Can you tell archicad to move a document in the "finder" ? Scary...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Sorry, maybe I misuderstood your post.
In GDL, it is possible to create files, read data from files, and write data into files.
I thought this you may be able to use for your purposes.
Laszlo
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions

Start a new conversation!