Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

GDL code for line thickness (NOT pen number)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know the GDL code for current lineweight (I mean, if I adapt the object "Pens and Colours 15" to show instead of the RGB, a text reading of 0.35 or 0.18 as a lineweight of that particular pen, what is the code meaning 'lineweight'.? Thanks (sorry if a dumb question - hardly ventured into GDL much).
10 REPLIES 10
Straightforward - impossible..

Can be done via some workarounds - like using one of POLY* commands.

Best Regards,
Piotr
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Piotr.

(It looks like my GDL won't extend to that. We'llhave to do without it...)
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Kim,
happy to read your diving a bit in GDL. AFAIK you can only assign a pen number to an element, hence the pen set will give the element its line weight… pen sets 😉 is the key
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Til. Yes, you and I well know that pensets are key! 😉

But that doesn't help with what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to print, using a modified ArchiCAD object called "Pens and colours 15", the actual numerical values for the line weights, the way it can be done for the RGB, so that when you change the penset you can read what the thickness is without having to look into the setting. So this is why I need it! This is also good for documenting office standards for new users to understand.

I'm singing the praises of BIMfast, BTW. Let's see what happens.
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I need these references I use the attribute manager and export the pen set I use. This way I get a schedule or text list with for each pen the 3 colors the pen width the description. You should try in this direction…
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Til. That will be most useful for my own purposes and I'm sure I'll be doing this quite a lot. It's just sad I won't have something for new users to see on the fly. Many of them will be from simple drafting backgrounds and want to see how a different penset changes the line weights of all the pens. Yes, I can still have a graphic representation of the lines, but if it said "0.35" and then as you switch penset it said "0.25", that would be a more direct feedback for them on the screen.
I will certainly use your suggestion for myself though. Thanks.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Kim,

for the communication purpose, rather than using a list with values I prefer onscreen or print examples. On the following link you will be able to down load my BIM fast .tpl file (french version…)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3rt08gc8a542w1l/Modele%20BIM%20Fast%20AC15%20FR.tpl

If you open it and check the worksheets you will find one called C PENS. I have made a quick translation so do not be worried by my mistakes. You will find lines and fills all linked to the appropriate pens with explanations about how to use them. I use this worksheet as a drawing and link it to different scales and different pen sets. This way all members of the team can check pen sets and changes when they make some, they can print them or watch onscreen whatever the scale. Hope this will help you.

Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable
Til,
Forgot my phone at home today so just got home and found a notification for this. Sounds perfect! I'll have a good look when I start up my computer later and tether an internet connection. Will respond properly then...
Cheers
Kim

I see this is like 10 years ago, wow.  But I know what you are saying and I wanted the same things for myself.  This GDL Object does just that, now what I am trying to do is learn GDL so I can pull the Pen Description so its all automatic.  I read and too many users do not understand, automatic and simple and efficient.  But any ways, here is the link so you can download this and it shows the pens weight by mm - so if you have a pen # 223 and it shows 0.35 mm and you go and change this to be 0.10 mm this GDL object pulls all this data automatically for you and shows you that it changed; its also a visual key to showing the pen table hope this finds you.  

Pen Table V2.0

https://bimcomponents.com/GSM/Details/8301 

Jasen Langley | ARCH720
ArchiCAD v27 (since v09) macOS Sonoma (version 14.4)
Apple M2 Max Studio, 12-core CPU, 30-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine, 1 TB SSDrive
64 GB Memory