Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Hot to lock custom object to work with only one keyplug?

Gorazd
Enthusiast
Hi all.

We have created some custom doors and windows that we would like to give to some ArchiCAD users. Is there a way to lock the GDL code to prevent it from being manipulated by users and also, is there a possibility to lock it to single ArchiCAD keyplug. We would like this objects to become a "freeware".
------

Gorazd Rajh

From AC 6.5 onward, Ryzen 9 5900HS, 48 GB RAM, RTX 3080, Win 11
6 REPLIES 6
There is a REQUEST for the serial number of the keyplug. You can put the authorized numbers in the script, then check that the installed keyplug matches before executing any code. Check the REQUESTs section of the GDL manual.

HTH,
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
Gorazd
Enthusiast
Thank you James. That was quick. Now, how do we prevent somebody to open object code and change this keyplug number by himself?
------

Gorazd Rajh

Not really. There is a tool to hide scripts, or there used to be, but someone can always open the object in a text editor and read the scripts, even if they are hidden. Until objects can be compiled, GDL is de facto open source.
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info
__archiben
Booster
James wrote:
GDL is de facto open source.
and all the better for it. now it just needs agressively marketing before the big A gets it's own object languiage into the industry . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Gorazd
Enthusiast
Thank you all for answers. I guess, we will have to trust the users not to change the code to work on other keyplugs. But I have some old objects, that are locked for editing also in text editor, purchased on ObjectsOnline. I wonder how they have done it?? I like the open source concept, but one has to eat from time to time.
------

Gorazd Rajh

TomWaltz
Participant
Thank you all for answers. I guess, we will have to trust the users not to change the code to work on other keyplugs. But I have some old objects, that are locked for editing also in text editor, purchased on ObjectsOnline. I wonder how they have done it?? I like the open source concept, but one has to eat Smile from time to time.
There used to be some kind of GDL API kit that had file locking tools in it. I think it was last updated for Archicad 7, though.
Tom Waltz