Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

How can I add the render preview to a new gdl object?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have modeled new objects for my projects. Is there any guide to know exactly how to add render view?

Thanks

David
9 REPLIES 9
From ArchiCAD Help:
Preview Picture
In the Preview Picture window, you can attach characteristic graphical information to a GDL Object. The graphic is a PICT (MacOS) or BMP (Windows) type image and does not affect the Object’s behavior or appearance in any way. This preview is displayed as the default representation of your Object in its tool settings dialog box, as well as next to library objects listed in a browsing window.
To generate the preview of a new Object:
1: Place the Object in the Project.
2: Select the placed Object and choose View > 3D View Mode > 3D Projection Settings. Choose a projection type and set up a view angle that show the typical features of your Object. Click OK.
3; Choose Image > 3D Image Settings. Set the window’s height and width to the same value to obtain a square shaped window.
4: Check the result in the 3D Window.
5: Choose Document > Creative Imaging > PhotoRendering Settings. In the Resulting Image area, define a 128 by 128 pixel size that you will be able to insert in the preview without any distortion, and choose a neutral background for the Object (for example, white color for both the Sky and the Ground).
6: With the Object still selected, choose Document > Creative Imaging > PhotoRender Projection. A Model Picture is generated.
7: Choose Edit > Select All, then Edit > Copy.
8: Go back to the Floor Plan. With the Object still selected, choose File > Libraries and Objects > Open Object. This will open the Master Window of the selected Object.
9: Click the Preview Picture icon to open the corresponding window, then choose Edit > Paste.
10: Save the GDL Object.

You can also paste other data from the clipboard, for example a photograph of the real-life object
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura wrote:
From ArchiCAD Help:
Preview Picture
In the Preview Picture window, you can attach characteristic graphical information to a GDL Object. The graphic is a PICT (MacOS) or BMP (Windows) type image and does not affect the Object’s behavior or appearance in any way. This preview is displayed as the default representation of your Object in its tool settings dialog box, as well as next to library objects listed in a browsing window.
To generate the preview of a new Object:
1: Place the Object in the Project.
2: Select the placed Object and choose View > 3D View Mode > 3D Projection Settings. Choose a projection type and set up a view angle that show the typical features of your Object. Click OK.
3; Choose Image > 3D Image Settings. Set the window’s height and width to the same value to obtain a square shaped window.
4: Check the result in the 3D Window.
5: Choose Document > Creative Imaging > PhotoRendering Settings. In the Resulting Image area, define a 128 by 128 pixel size that you will be able to insert in the preview without any distortion, and choose a neutral background for the Object (for example, white color for both the Sky and the Ground).
6: With the Object still selected, choose Document > Creative Imaging > PhotoRender Projection. A Model Picture is generated.
7: Choose Edit > Select All, then Edit > Copy.
8: Go back to the Floor Plan. With the Object still selected, choose File > Libraries and Objects > Open Object. This will open the Master Window of the selected Object.
9: Click the Preview Picture icon to open the corresponding window, then choose Edit > Paste.
10: Save the GDL Object.

You can also paste other data from the clipboard, for example a photograph of the real-life object
Is this a polite way to say RTFM?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Laura, thanks for your help. now I have another question How can I add the 2d view I made the same procedure but doesn´t work. any hint?

Djordje
Ace
David wrote:
Laura, thanks for your help. now I have another question How can I add the 2d view I made the same procedure but doesn´t work. any hint?
Set the 3D window to hidden line, view from above, and click on the button "copy to 2D view" or similar ...

Alternatively, copy and paste works - even from the 2D symbol to the 2D scripted window, so that you can tweak it later (fragments, lines, pens, hotspots ...)
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Frank Beister
Mentor
SHIFT-APPLE-4. Afterwards press CTRL before click and dragging the selection frame. Now the screen area is in clipboard. Paste it into preview window. The size will be scaled to 128 max in x and/or y. Using MacOS (as you do) QT is used internaly for resizing. Quality should be good enough. Similar way. 😉
bim author since 1994 | bim manager since 2018 | author of selfGDL.de | openGDL | skewed archicad user hall of fame | author of bim-all-doors.gsm
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for your help, now I can organize all that work correctly. I found in my office a very helpful source to continue learning how to make parametric objects. The David Nicholson-Cole book (Object Making with Archicad-GDL for Beginners, I´m going to try the exercises to understand well the way to do it. There´s another book of David´s (The Cookbook) but I´m not sure if I need it, does anybody recomend it?
David wrote:
There´s another book of David´s (The Cookbook) but I´m not sure if I need it, does anybody recomend it?
I hear it's highly recommended, although it's out of print, and hasn't been updated (for subsequent AC releases) for years...
Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be a great idea if the books that are out of print, be available for download in PDF version, for a special price.
You can also refer to this site, but it's an abbreviated version.