cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Importing complex models (GSM)

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello everyone,

I keep getting into issues when I have to import a lot of varous 3d models into archicad. usually they are GSM models exported from rhinoceros. The thing is, they are sometimes rather complex polygon-wise. And when I import few of them, Archicad goes very slow. Especially in 2D plan views and sections. I think the majority of problems come from constantly redrawing and projecting the models into 2D. Turning on "NO CUT" in 2D repsresetnation doens't help. Is there a way to get around this. Could I somehow edit the GSM, or GDL of it to make the 2D projection be a simple square or circle? Just so that I know it's there, but that it looks real in 3D?
1 REPLY 1
Podolsky
Ace
Yes, the reason why it's slow in floor plan because object generates floor plan representation using PROJECT2 command - that is actually top protection of 3d model.
There is very simple technique to avoid it:

1. Delete ALL 2D script.
2. Open 3D view of the object.
3. Choose Parallel projection top view. Ensure that camera azimuth set to 270 degrees.
4. Change OpenGL engine to Vectorial. Create new pre-set in 3D style dialogue window - switch off shadows, choose solid non shaded model type, switch off vectorial hatching. If contours are still invisible because of complicity of the model, choose shaded model mode instead.
5. Click on small button "Add to symbol" next to zooming buttons in left bottom corner of the screen.
6. Open 2D symbol. You will see placed lines and fills, that represent top view of 3D model. You can use fill consolidation command to connect all small fills into one. Adjust fills and lines how you like. Draw additional lines if needed. Place hotspots where needed.
7. Save the object.

Now ArchiCAD will work much much faster.