Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Set up layer for new objects

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to give the objects I create a layer of my choice.
Now I can't find any such possibility in the parameterlist.
All my new objects seem to be put on the Archicad Layer.
Are there a way to give the spesific object I make a default layer of my choice ?
9 REPLIES 9
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Anne:

No. Objects are placed on the default layer of the Object Tool.

David
David Maudlin / Architect
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
David wrote:
Anne:

David
I'm not sure if I understand whether this issue is about placing objects or creating objects with a specific default layer coded in.

David - do you mean that objects are assigned a default layer according to Model Element Subtype?

Anne - I, too, would like to be able to assign a default layer to objects we create, but if the question is about placing objects, my experience is a bit different than what both you and David report. In my AC, the default layer is the last layer I placed an object on, not the Archicad layer. For example, I created an object and placed it on the A-CLNG layer, the next time I tried to place an object we had created previously, the default layer was A-CLNG.

I don't understand how this is meant to work.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Paul wrote:
David wrote:
Anne:

David
I'm not sure if I understand whether this issue is about placing objects or creating objects with a specific default layer coded in.

David - do you mean that objects are assigned a default layer according to Model Element Subtype?

Anne - I, too, would like to be able to assign a default layer to objects we create, but if the question is about placing objects, my experience is a bit different than what both you and David report. In my AC, the default layer is the last layer I placed an object on, not the Archicad layer. For example, I created an object and placed it on the A-CLNG layer, the next time I tried to place an object we had created previously, the default layer was A-CLNG.

The default layers are limited to the tools available in the tool palette. Thus lights, stairs and chairs can each have their own distinct default layers, but chairs and tables and sinks and toilets cannot since they all use the same tool. This is one of the things that favorites are good for.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
Paul wrote:
David wrote:
Anne:

David

The default layers are limited to the tools available in the tool palette. Thus lights, stairs and chairs can each have their own distinct default layers, but chairs and tables and sinks and toilets cannot since they all use the same tool. This is one of the things that favorites are good for.
Thank you
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Paul wrote:
To be clear, there is no way via GDL to assign a layer to an object.

Paul: Your description of default layer assignment is correct. As Matthew pointed out, Favorites can be used for predetermining layer assignment for objects (and other elements).

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
AC27 USA • iMac 27" 4.0GHz Quad-core i7 OSX11 | 24 gb ram • MacBook Pro M3 Pro | 36 gb ram OSX14
Anonymous
Not applicable
I would like to give an example of what I wanted to do:

I have created my own layers like CustomFurniture, CustomInterior a.s.o.
When I make an object that looks like a chair I would like to assign it to the CustomFurniture-layer, if I make an object that looks like a lamp, I would assign it to CustomInterior-layer.
So every time I use this object in my model(floorplan), the object is automatically put on the layer I assigned to it.

I hoped the layer could be an attribute in the Model Element or one of its subtypes. But it is not so ?
David Maudlin
Virtuoso
Anne wrote:
I hoped the layer could be an attribute in the Model Element or one of its subtypes. But it is not so ?
Correct, there is no way to do this via GDL.

David
www.davidmaudlin.com
Digital Architecture
Barry Kelly
It is not possible to automatically place an object in a preferred layer.
But it is possible to add a parameter to and object that can be set as the prefered layer.
Then a warning message can be scripted into the object so that if the actual layer does not match the preferred layer the warning message will appear.

Otherwise setting up favourites is the closest you can get to automating it.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you.