cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

Sliding Barn Door Object

Jacek
Contributor
Hi,
I am looking for a library part, simple, exterior, wall hung sliding (exposed track, surface mounted) barn. garage door. I would like to be able to have the option of iserting a 'light' into the panel, like a 'french' door.
I tried using the Pocket doors, single and double with an offset of -(x) inches to get them outside of the wall but they do not look good.
I know that I could make them out of wall material etc., but then they will not show win the interactive (?) schedule.
I have attached a photo of a similiar door we did on another project.
Any suggestions?

BarnDoor.jpg
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24
4 REPLIES 4
Karl Ottenstein
Jacek wrote:
I know that I could make them out of wall material etc., but then they will not show win the interactive (?) schedule.
What you describe is very easy to build as a custom door ... which will indeed show up in the I.S. ... and further will cut its own hole in the wall. Take a look at Rex Max's ArchiTip from March 2003 called GDL 101 (somewhat large PDF file linked here):

[obsolete link removed by moderator]

It may look a little intimidating, but is quite easy. Just build your door ... and your track .. with slabs, flat on the ground at the origin and project zero as if you are looking at it in elevation from inside the room. Since the door needs to be outside of your wall, build your door slab as far below project zero as you want it to be offset from the outside of the wall.

Make just a basic slab and try the steps to see what's involved, and then make your real door to scale. Cut a hole in your frame slab for the glass, and place a thin slab of glass material in its place, centered. Etc. Really won't take you much time at all. Mere minutes once you've got the hang of it. 😉

I'll be teaching, step by step with some new, simple techniques and tips, how to do these kinds of things and more in the ACUWest session "The GDL Everyone Should Know" in two weeks.

HTH,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Jacek
Contributor
It may look a little intimidating, but is quite easy. Just build your door ... and your track .. with slabs, flat on the ground at the origin and project zero as if you are looking at it in elevation. Since the door needs to be outside of your wall, build your door slab as far below project zero as you want it offset from the outside of the wall.
Karl,
thank you. I have tried to take the easy way out and forgot about the tutorial.
Will give it a try.
Thanks for reminding me,
Jacek
jacek lisiewicz
----------------------------------------------
arkhos-tekton, architects
carmichael, ca

Mac OS X 10.15.5
IMac Retina 5K, Intel Core I7
32 GIG Memory, AMD Radeon R9
ArchiCAD 24
Anonymous
Not applicable
Guys, when I select the link provided to Rex Max's ArchiTIPS. I get a Graphisoft screen that says Oops! Link can not be found. Any idea what's up with this? has the link been relocated? Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Barry Kelly
Well it is 14 years old.
I had a quick look at the website but didn't find anything obvious.

However here are a couple of links from the HelpCenter for making a custom door and window.
The more detail you model, the better it will look in 3D.

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25570/

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25564/

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11