Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Libraries & objects
About Archicad and BIMcloud libraries, their management and migration, objects and other library parts, etc.

gs_RESOL?

Anonymous
Not applicable
What exactly does RESOL do or what is it? The GDL reference guide shows it on page 219 but doesn't give any details about it.

Also are their any other sources that would be good to refer to when I come across GDL commands that are not defined in the reference guide or AC's help menu?

Any assistance is appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Check on pages 152 - 154 of the GDL ref guide for the explanation of resol, radius and toler.

All control the smoothness of a cylindrical surface to reduce the number of polygons in a library part.
Erika Epstein
Booster
RESOL sets the resolution of curves in 360°. In other words how much a circle will be faceted.

RESOL " is away of controlling the resolution of curvature of curved surfaces such as spheres, cones and cylinders... " DNC

The default is 36
If you have a round railing section that means it will have 36 straight faceted sides simulating a circle in section. Lowering the resol reduces the amount of facets which can drastically reduce render times in both s/e and 3D views.

A resol of 4 gives a square section through the railing. Arguably at 1/8" or 1/4" scales for a small diameter, that might be a sufficient resol. At larger scales, like cutting through the railing for a detail, resol of 4 for a round section would not be acceptable, hence scale sensitivity settings.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Dwight
Newcomer
For GDL information and exercises:

GDL Cookbook

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/sbe/cookbook/CB_download/cookbook3download.html
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all the info and helpful tips. I really appreciate the examples from Erika. I'll also look into getting the GDL cookbook too.
Dwight
Newcomer
"Look into"???

Geez.

Download it for free.

Everyone!
Dwight Atkinson

Didn't find the answer?

Check other topics in this Forum

Back to Forum

Read the latest accepted solutions!

Accepted Solutions