Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

Subtracting Polygons/Splines from Walls

Anonymous
Not applicable
I need to subtract a shape from a wall. In Revit you can turn on the sketch command and draw what you want. I don't see an equivilent in ArchiCAD. I want to create a unique opening using a subtraction method. Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Thomas Holm
Booster
Please check the Design > Solid Element Operations command, and read the Help file about it.

You might want some basic Archicad training too. There are some resources on the Internet. Please search.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Djordje
Ace
bstaff5 wrote:
I need to subtract a shape from a wall. In Revit you can turn on the sketch command and draw what you want. I don't see an equivilent in ArchiCAD. I want to create a unique opening using a subtraction method. Thanks
You will much easier do this by creating a window of the shape that you need. See http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/Using_SEO_to_Create_Custom_Windows?highlight=%28TechNotes/%29%... for what you want, and http://www.archicadwiki.com/TechNotes/Creating_custom_windows?highlight=%28custom%29%7C%28window%29 for the standard procedure of making custom windows.
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Thomas Holm
Booster
Djordje, I agree on making a window is better if you want to subtract one shape several times at several places. I thought he meant subtract one shape once. In that case it's easier with SEO.

Besides, I think both methods are well covered in Archicad's Help menu.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Thomas wrote:
Djordje, I agree on making a window is better if you want to subtract one shape several times at several places. I thought he meant subtract one shape once. In that case it's easier with SEO.

Besides, I think both methods are well covered in Archicad's Help menu.
I think it depends on the shape. For right angle shapes, you're better off inserting a window or two. At least that way you stand a better chance of it appearing in plan. If it was a really odd shape (like a star) it would be just as difficult to model the shape as it would be to subtract it with SEo, so a customized window is the best way to go.
Thomas wrote:
You might want some basic Archicad training too. There are some resources on the Internet. Please search.
Continually tell people to get training doesn't do much to help them immediately. Most of them probably know they need training, but this forum is here to help people. Imagine if we all said 'get training'!

Maybe we should all answer the questions we can, or not comment at all?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Idon't remeber exactly but have a look at archiradar site. there's one parametric window for irregular shaped openings, though its not in english.
HTH
Thomas Holm
Booster
Link wrote:
Maybe we should all answer the questions we can, or not comment at all?
Yes, how about it?
Djordje
Ace
jaesengh wrote:
Idon't remeber exactly but have a look at archiradar site. there's one parametric window for irregular shaped openings, though its not in english.
HTH
There is also one in the Depository, if I remember correctly?

Thomas, Link is right - I am the first one to yell "get training!" but for the well documented issues like this one a link or two to the manual and/or the Wiki is usually enough. Then you yell about the training 😉

Unlike Link, you are probably not exposed to immense amounts of training newbies. I have enough grey hair, so glad I am out of it, and suppose that Link is white as the new snow ... while his pupils have to use some colour 😉
Djordje

HP Omen
Rod Jurich
Contributor
Djordje wrote:
/.... I have enough grey hair, /....
So Djordje, when do we get to see a recent pic
Rod Jurich
AC4.55 - AC14 INT (4204) |  | OBJECTiVE |
Djordje
Ace
Rod wrote:
Djordje wrote:
/.... I have enough grey hair, /....
So Djordje, when do we get to see a recent pic
Why? 😉 The avatar is only about 15 years old ... O;)

No, nothing like you Rod. Ocassional strand here and there.
Djordje

HP Omen