Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Licensing
About all sorts of licenses, their management, Graphisoft ID, Graphisoft Store, License Manager Tool, etc.

problems with dimensions

Anonymous
Not applicable
I´m trying to get my head around archicad but still can´t work out something as simple as having all the dimensions displayed while i introduce doors and windows in walls, so i can know the distances from the walls. Any help?
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dimensions are not used to place elements in the way you describe. Just like their predecessors on hand drawn work they are placed after the drawing work is complete.

You need to master the use of the origin point as a datum for working by. The temporary origin can be placed at any convenient intersection point using the cursor and a key combination, typically Alt/Shift (Mac).

Then as you move your cursor along the wall to place another element (window, door or other wall etc.) the offset distance from the origin can be read off in the coordinates palette. Also by hitting the x, y, or r (radius[distance]) keys you may enter accurate dimensions for the offset position.
Anonymous
Not applicable
An alternative to placing a temporary origin (which I don't think I have ever done, but not saying its a bad idea) is to add a + or - to give a point relative to where the cursor currently is. Put this after your coordinate but before you hit enter.

eg. if you want a door to be 100mm from a wall intersection, with door tool active hover your cursor over the intersection, hit X, then "100+" in the tracker coordinate box, then ENTER. This will move the cursor 100mm to the right, a -(minus) will move it 100mm to the left. You can use the same technique with Y and R / D coordinates, and use it for many other situations, such as starting a wall offset from another. I think previously you had to use the "+" on the numeric keypad, but it now appears to work with "SHIFT ="
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
...add a + or - to give a point relative to where the cursor currently is...
That's a neat shortcut. I never did it but it's funny how we all get into different little shortcuts and they become second nature.
Anonymous
Not applicable
There are many ways to skin this (archi)cat.