cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

A sloped roof with a flat bottom?

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've been using AC for years and it drives me crazy that you can't use the roof tool to create a single-plane roof with, let's say 7-degree slope while having a flat side underneath. I wan't this oftentimes when I work with residential projects and have a row of balconies. Above the top balcony I just want a simple sloped roof with a flat bottom.

I can't seem to get the roof tool to do this. Can it be done with som add-on like roof-wizard?
I've been thinking I could use some kind of object but I also wan't the "roof" to be shown on it's home story and all stories above. This is a setting (edit custom) within the roof-tool but objects either have the option to show on all stories or just home+one above or below.

I would also like to be able to apply 3 different surfaces to the top, bottom and the sides and of course for 2D-view you should be able to apply a fill type.

Does anyone know of or can anyone kindly create something like this?
5 REPLIES 5
Lingwisyer
Guru
Use a mesh? Though you would have to convert your gradient to ΔZ; L.atanθ

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Anonymous
Not applicable
I could use a mesh but it would be better with a roof/object because if you are working in a big residential project with 25+ of these roofs it's a pain to adjust the angle/thickness of the roof later on.
I'm not sure what you mean by " ΔZ; L.atanθ " because I don't really know GDL that well.
Lingwisyer
Guru
Fair enough... changing pitch with a mesh requires recalculating each one...

That last bit is basic trigonometry. Using a mesh you would need to know the change in height from one side to the other, ΔZ. To do that for a given pitch, you would multiply the length of the roof, L, by the inverse tan, atan, of the pitch, θ.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Hmooslechner
Rockstar
Wy not using a profile in a wall or a truss? Then, the profile-modificators should work too, so that you easy could adjust the sloping. What you also could do in a profile: construct all details - even the gutter which would also follow the wall/truss.
AC5.5-AC27EduAut, PC-Win10, MacbookAirM1, MacbookM1Max, Win-I7+Nvidia
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is an article about this topic, which I wrote for GRAPHISOFT a long while ago but it still applies:

https://helpcenter.graphisoft.com/knowledgebase/25582/
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27