BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 12: Explore Model very clunky...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I frequently use the "Explore Model" option to fly around the building and see if everything is working smoothly. Since upgrading to 12, whenever I use the Explore Model, it does nothing the first time. I select the "little man" icon, and usually I can navigate right away. Now, it temporarily freezes the screen. I have to push escape and do it again, sometimes 3 times before I can actually explore.

Is this a bug that needs to be fixed or is there a way around this?

Anyone else have this happen??
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable
Steven wrote:
Hello,

I frequently use the "Explore Model" option to fly around the building and see if everything is working smoothly. Since upgrading to 12, whenever I use the Explore Model, it does nothing the first time. I select the "little man" icon, and usually I can navigate right away. Now, it temporarily freezes the screen. I have to push escape and do it again, sometimes 3 times before I can actually explore.

Is this a bug that needs to be fixed or is there a way around this?

Anyone else have this happen??
You are not alone!

In my limited testing in AC12 so far, there appears to be a pause of maybe 1/4 of a second after clicking the free explore button, before any movement takes place.

If in this time I press the arrow keys too quickly to start navigating before I move the mouse, (which I clearly do too regularly), the 3d window doesn't recognise any movement. If you then try to click in the window to alert it of your presence, it will leap to the position where your previous pressing of your arrow keys would have taken you, if you could have seen it. A little annoying especially if you are working away at top speed.

This never occurred in AC11 on exactly the same model, with exactly the same person operating it! So the moral of the tale is...... work slower than you could in AC11 and the problem won't occur!

Seriously though, I have lost count the number of times I have done it this evening. I know I'm clearly going too fast for it, and I just have to pause for a smidgeon, but muscle memory is difficult to reprogram.

I'll try updating the graphics card drivers later and see if that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I moved a project from 11 into 12. 3D in 12 is clunky as described. More irritating is all of my saved 3D perspective in the navigator are non-functional....coupled with my loss of a google upload connection and I have yet again unwisely believed ArchiCAD was releasing a usable product.

Nothing like spending $600 plus $250 to upgrade 3rd party add-ons so I can waste multiple days.

Cary

ArchiCAD 12 Windows XPsp3
David Shorter
Advisor
Hi Cary
Can't reproduce this, for me 12 is very smooth in explore and the saved 3D views come through well from 11. Were you using the latest build of 11? Also its very important to make sure your video card drivers are up to date
Archicad 4.1 to 27 Apple Silicon
you can't build a line
Mac Studio
iPad Pro
iPhone
Anonymous
Not applicable
migrated from the latest 11 update and my nvidia card w/ 1gig ram has latest driver.
kevin b
Contributor
All my saved 3D views have been fine as well.
kevin s burns, AIA

massachusetts, usa

AC25 (1413), since AC6

Windows 10

Intel Core i7 -8700 @ 3.2 GHz~ 16 GB ram
Anonymous
Not applicable
When I first read this my 3d explore was working great but now it is chunky too. Pan and rotate a bit chunky as well...
Learn and get certified!