Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

AC 12: Explore Model very clunky...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello,

I frequently use the "Explore Model" option to fly around the building and see if everything is working smoothly. Since upgrading to 12, whenever I use the Explore Model, it does nothing the first time. I select the "little man" icon, and usually I can navigate right away. Now, it temporarily freezes the screen. I have to push escape and do it again, sometimes 3 times before I can actually explore.

Is this a bug that needs to be fixed or is there a way around this?

Anyone else have this happen??
25 REPLIES 25
Dwight
Newcomer
Perhaps the OpenGL view defaults changed.

Check 3D Windo Settings>OpenGL Options.

The fastest navigation mode limits full display distance and eliminates rendering those ugly OpenGL textures.

Remember that Squirrels are just rats with fancy tails.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
Really an off-topic response... but IMHO if anyone experiences the intuitiveness, speed and fluidity of 3D navigation using the 3dconnexion SpaceNavigator, they'll never use any other method to navigate an ArchiCAD model (or SketchUp, Artlantis, etc etc).

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hmmmm... I've never heard of a flying rat. They can swim though...

http://www.pvmasters.org/~newsletter/Dec-04/rat.jpg
Dwight
Newcomer
Hahahaha!

Next it will be a rat snorkel and tiny rat drinks-with-umbrellas.

I am another voice for Space Navigator. Fantastic value! And comes with blue undercar lighting.

Google Earth is the best place for it...... zoom zoom zoom. Like an old Mazda ad.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Karl wrote:
Really an off-topic response... but IMHO if anyone experiences the intuitiveness, speed and fluidity of 3D navigation using the 3dconnexion SpaceNavigator, they'll never use any other method to navigate an ArchiCAD model (or SketchUp, Artlantis, etc etc).

Cheers,
Karl
mmm... i've tried 3dconnexion , didn't like it at all

And being a PC games geek , using W-A-S-D and mouse to navigate feels almost like being home in pajamas !

and yes I am having the issue that mentioned in this topic, although i didn't have much time to look into it .
Anonymous
Not applicable
whatever wrote:
And being a PC games geek , using W-A-S-D and mouse to navigate feels almost like being home in pajamas !

AMEN!
__archiben
Booster
Steven wrote:
Since upgrading to 12, whenever I use the Explore Model, it does nothing the first time. I select the "little man" icon, and usually I can navigate right away. Now, it temporarily freezes the screen. I have to push escape and do it again, sometimes 3 times before I can actually explore.

Is this a bug that needs to be fixed or is there a way around this?

Anyone else have this happen??
it's not a 12 issue - i used to get that quite frequently with larger models in 11 too. i'm guessing it might be a graphics card thing.

i've just learnt not to be so hasty to begin 'exploring' and it seems to come right . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well Ben I believe you have it! If I "push the little man" and immediately try to fly around, it will freeze up; If I give it a second before exploring, it seems to work ok.

I guess it's just like bonsai, you need a little patience...
Dwight
Newcomer
The computer needs some time to get that model out of the cache and into RAM so you can play Peter Pan.
Dwight Atkinson
Karl Ottenstein
whatever wrote:
mmm... i've tried 3dconnexion , didn't like it at all
I suspected that gamers might feel differently about it. Personally, I set it for the fastest response time (slow out of the box for learning) and in ArchiCAD, I use 'object' mode, where moving the spacenavigator mimics holding the model in your hand (so to speak). It can also operate in 'fly' mode in which all axes are reversed - and is probably more like gamers are used to?

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB