Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

About The Architects' Journal (especially for the Brits)

In the issue of 15.09.05 of the ever-increasingly scrwd up The Architects' Journal, section 'Technical & Practice', a Joe Croser gives advice on BIM products disregarding ArchiCAD with the following words:

'As a 2D drafting tool ArchiCAD is much easier to use than (Autocad) LT for the drafting of 2D plans, sections and elevations, and is capable of producing sweet-looking drawings much faster, but in my opinion it lacks the 'I' in 'BIM' --ArchiCAD is not fully 'integrated'.
'My biggest gripe with ArchiCAD is that it is not possible to take any building model and extract true, coordinated 2D views of plans, when there are more than two floor levels visible in the plan. Yes, you can 'work around' this issue, but in doing so you lose the very coordination sought by an integrated solution and if George Scott (the guy who asked for advice) was happy struggling with workarounds he would be happier with his existing Autodesk LT.'

In my opinion, Mr. Joe Croser's fingers should be cut off for having typed such clueless stupidity. I felt like writing but thought that maybe a Brit reaction would have more of an effect.
15 REPLIES 15
Sorry about the delay. I thought about copyright issues in the forum then realised I could upload it somewhere else, when I found the method I couldn't find the time and when I found the time I couldn't find the magazine.

Please first check in the top of the second page the question that triggers the 2-page long article.

http://www.ignacioazpiazu.com/samples/TAC-1.jpg
http://www.ignacioazpiazu.com/samples/TAC-2.jpg
Petros Ioannou
Booster
"As an ArchiCAD user I get asked this question quite a bit: "Why are you not using AutoCAD, since it is the most popular CAD program in the world?" My response is: "McDonald's is the most popular restaurant in the world, but I don't eat there." "

Kimon Onuma's interview from Envisions newsletter

Someone should quote that to this "open minded" flatcader!
Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Petros Ioannou
Booster
And he seems to be the one ringing the bells and whistling at the same time, but on who's behalf?

Anyway it seems very odd how people are still evangelizing Autocad (LT!).
The only difficulty that I find in the transition from Acad Lt to ArchiCAD would be the price. Lets say 40 seats (half of the office interested)
Acad LT 40X1100 = 44000 €
ArchiCAD 40X5500 = 220000 €

on the other hand if they choose archicad they will have to "release" half of their employers since no more trimming and offsetting is needed...
Petros
ArchiCAD 22 4023 UKI FULL,
Archicad 21 6013 UKI FULL, ArchiCAD 20 8005 UKI FULL
iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017
4.2 GHz Intel Core i7
32 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
Radeon Pro 580 8192 MB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have various email discussions with Joe Crosser ( who by the way is an autocad apologist. He is getting very excited about autocad losing its command line!!.)

Most of his articles on CAD usually have a section berating the Apple mac as a serious platform for working on.

He recommends buying Revit ,as Autodesk have a large R&D dept,
( althought it didnt stop them screwing up ADT).
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've seen several companies that go public and change to a money focus. They lose their passion. As apple has, I hope Graphisoft focuses on quality and the money will be there as well. As long as graphisoft has a passion they'll be fine.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
It's a sad and terrible disaster when a narrow minded amateur gets published in some serious papers. I can't be bothered to comment on such a low drivel...
::rk