Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Additive Selection question

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi community, I want you to forgive me if it's already asked but I couldnt find it.

See, in AutoCAD the selection tools works in an additive way. It keeps adding elements even if previously selected items are re-selected again. In ArchiCAD this works by intersecting, deselecting previously selected items if reselecting them.

I wonder if there's the choice to change this behavior to additive instead of intersective. It's a bit frustrating to see that I left some elements out and I have to make my selection all over again or go click on them one by one and checking overlappings to know that I'm selecting the right one.

Additionally, maybe a wishlist, if it's possible for ArchiCAD to check overlapped elements. The duplicate checker tool see if there are repetitive elements but it would be nice if it could also check for smaller lines being overlapped by bigger ones. Just a suggestion.

Thanks!
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Darius_bd wrote:
Just yesterday I draw a square to select some elements in an axis I needed to move but I left 3 lines of a square unselected. If I had additive selection, I would just needed to draw a "Entire Elements" square selection over the square with shift and done. With intersection-selection, I do that, and I end up with those 3 lines selected but the first line unselected. Yes, it could be as easy as go clicking every line while pressing Tab to keep the right one selected, but compare that many clicks and concentration to just drawing another square.

And that's just 3 lines of a square, sometimes I need more complex selections that just makes me deselect everything and start again.
I'm not quite following what you are trying to do, but the selection tool has options to select items entirely within the selection area or intersecting the selection area. Is that what you're struggling with? I have no problems with AC's selection techniques, either, and almost always have the "intersecting" method selected, as shown in the image below.

Selection methods also depend on your AC version, as I think things have changed slightly in 14. You should add your AC version and system info into your forum profile signature line.
Picture 1.png
Barry Kelly
s2art wrote:
Selection methods also depend on your AC version, as I think things have changed slightly in 14. You should add your AC version and system info into your forum profile signature line.
Yes different in 14.
We now have a third selection method so that when selecting from left to right you capture only entire objects within the selection area.
And when selcting from right to left you get all elements crosing and within the selected area.
So now no more changing the settings, jest change the direction you draw the selection area.

And don't forget you can group elements so that when you select one element all in that group select at once.
And if Autogrouping is on then all elements drawn with one command will be grouped automatically (i.e. a rectangle drawn from the line tool in rectangle mode).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11