cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD 9 is shipping in mid-September!

Bence Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Dear Archi-Talkers,

We are happy to announce on ArchiCAD-Talk that ArchiCAD 9 will be released in September 2004. Shipment will start with the INT, US and GER versions followed by other localized language versions over the coming months. Based on the results of extensive beta testing we are confident that this version will be the most robust version of ArchiCAD ever. Please check www.graphisoft.com for the official press release on ArchiCAD 9! And... enjoy!

Bence Kovacs
Vice President

ArchiCAD Product Management
Graphisoft
174 REPLIES 174
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jefferson wrote:
Thanks Laci! -

That was a comprehensive list with references to the actual application of the new and improved functions. [how does this benefit my work flow....]While my inclination is to wait to upgrade, even on a every other release pattern, this release seems pretty compelling and the advantages are apparent, to me anyway.

As well there are beta users I trust giving unbiased endorsements, in regard to stability as well.

While some disagree, there is no rule that says you must upgrade. Withholding your upgrade purchase is always an option as is migration to another program if the dissatisfaction is unbearable.
I dont dissagree with you at all. I didint say that the product is bad.
I never said that. I have heard it too that its very stable.
BUT AFTER 2 YEARS of waiting is that all? If it was released 6 months after version 8 i would have said WELL DONE. BRAVO. But after 2 years i cannt.
Do you see my point?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello Mac BETA Testers..

Can you tell me one thing? With version 9, can I finally export a .EPix file from AC?? I use Piranesi a bunch!

Thanks!

+pablo
Jefferson
Participant
oreopoulos,

I can see your point and I think we all by now, understand your frustration and while I don't want to argue I come to this field from a different perspective..........

In construction I had $10K, maybe $20K worth of tools that had only limited functions. It took all of those tools to accomplish the final product. No single tool did it all and work-arounds were an everyday experience. I would buy new and improved tools when the improvements warranted, in my judgement, the monetary output.

Here we have a single, $4K tool that does damn near everything! And for me it's the best thing available. It improves every time it's rereleased. [Let me quantify that I am reasonably happy with 8.1!] I will live with that, because I have no choice, and because it is the nature of everything. It just isn't a perfect world and expecting perfection from my software, my computer, myself, my wife, etc........... will make me crazy. I don't intend to agitate you, but it is what it is.........
for my money it appears to be a better product. I will buy it because it will help me. If it wouldn't I would wait. This much we have control over.
jeff white
w3d design

AC 23 Solo US / current build & library
Windoze 10 Pro 64
HP ZBook 17 G4
Intel Zeon 3.0
Twin 2GB SSD
32 GB memory

http://w3d-design.com
Thomas Holm
Booster
Having pursued other interests for a while, I seem to have missed that our old companion AA has got an heir. Those who have followed this forum as long as I have will understand.

I find it quite encouraging that Ben Frost already has found what I think many will - that the changes in AC9 will significantly better your productivity. But perhaps you have to have my specific experience with other CAD systems to see this before using the program.

And, as Jefferson said, contrary to Autocad and Microstation, one of the great benefits of Archicad is that you are not forced to upgrade. (See below). I hope our young Greek friend will find comfort in this freedom.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
Can anyone tell me what the GS "minimum" and "recommended" system requirements of ArchiCAD 9 are? thanks in advance.

Oh and by the way, Jefferson, this has been bugging me for ages, what are you doing in your avatar? cycling or gardening? Maybe I should start a poll
Anonymous
Not applicable
AC always seems to get things backward. How can you announce that an upgrade is ready without specifying what this upgrade might cost. None of this talk about what a bad value this upgrade is makes any sense until the cost is known. If they want $600, my guess is that most will not be interested. If they want $250 and they include such a nice carrot, Lightwave, then My guess is that we all will be happy. If it is $600 will we still buy? Most likely, but, we will grumble and curse all the way. No matter what though, I will not be the first to upgrade. I did it for 8 and lost thousands of dollars. This time it is up to somebody else.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jefferson wrote:
oreopoulos,

I can see your point and I think we all by now, understand your frustration and while I don't want to argue I come to this field from a different perspective..........

In construction I had $10K, maybe $20K worth of tools that had only limited functions. It took all of those tools to accomplish the final product. No single tool did it all and work-arounds were an everyday experience. I would buy new and improved tools when the improvements warranted, in my judgement, the monetary output.

Here we have a single, $4K tool that does <b>[censored]</b> near everything! And for me it's the best thing available. It improves every time it's rereleased. [Let me quantify that I am reasonably happy with 8.1!] I will live with that, because I have no choice, and because it is the nature of everything. It just isn't a perfect world and expecting perfection from my software, my computer, myself, my wife, etc........... will make me crazy. I don't intend to agitate you, but it is what it is.........
for my money it appears to be a better product. I will buy it because it will help me. If it wouldn't I would wait. This much we have control over.
In Greece its an 6K tool First.
Second if you dont demand you wont recieve. Do you agree?
For the time beeing Revit is not a clearly better choice, but are we leaving all to competition? Of course the new environment will help you. Did i say it wont? Did i say i see steps backward? No I said that after 2 years i was expecting features. Important tools missing. And noone can ofcourse answer the stairmaker case.

And thomas i am greek and young (35) but if i was 45 i would have a heart attck from that announment
Anonymous
Not applicable
The videos look like they have added some very useful features to AC9. I have some questions that maybe a beta tester can answer:

1. It seems that only the Lightworks rendering engine is multi-processor aware, but that AC does not support this. Is this correct? Can the rendering be distributed across different machines?

2. With the inclusion of Lightworks, where does this leave Artlantis users? How easy is it to modify finishes and textures with the LW engine? One of the best features of Artlantis is the ability to blend or adjust colors of texture images. For example - let's say I have a red brick image file and want to apply it to a building. If I don't like the color output and I don't have another brick image, I can blend other colors into the image file to change the output. Will this be possible with LW? I also understand Artlantis 5.0 is about to enter beta testing. New features include radiosity and global illumination. Are these features available in LW?

3. Can one place PDF files into AC or PM layouts?
Ben Odonnell
Contributor
Ligtworks shaders are FULLY Procedural! With this I mean that one can create their own textures very fast and very easily.

If you deiced to change some thing in your texture it is reflected on your model instantly.

Just to let you guys in on a little secret, as I was also a beta tester, there was a competition among the beta testers that Ben Frost took home.

So Ben, a big public congratulations on your great work.

Cheers.
Ben
Ben O'Donnell
Architect and CTO at BIMobject®
Get your BIM objects from bimobject.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Oreopolous said..

.In Greece its an 6K tool First.
Second if you dont demand you wont recieve. Do you agree?
For the time beeing Revit is not a clearly better choice, but are we leaving all to competition? Of course the new environment will help you. Did i say it wont? Did i say i see steps backward? No I said that after 2 years i was expecting features

Well if we are going to be pedantic then it hasnt taken 2 years....

Archicad 8 was released in circa. Nov / Dec 2002. Its September 2004 now.