cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD line type issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hey Guys,

I've got a line type question here for ArchiCAD 9, perhaps someone can help me out? I am in the process of re-doing my firm's line types for showing rated walls (1-hr, 2-hr, etc). There is a line type in AutoCAD that we like and are trying to mimic. The problem is, ArchiCAD seems to be rounding out the line edges when I make the pen weight very heavy. The image below shows what I'm trying to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks much!

Alan

8 REPLIES 8
Dwight
Newcomer
I sympathise - Archicad tries to make pen lines look like Rapidograph lines, not Graphos lines.

Since you see that one fat line will blob up, make a new line type with your dashes at the interval you want and then multiply ten of them laterally very close together to broaden the stroke.

When drawn with a medium pen weight, it will stay square and look solid.
Dwight Atkinson
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Dwight! That worked well. I created my new line type and it plotted great!

Thanks again!

Alan
Dennis Lee
Booster
For whatever it's worth, here is what I did with composite walls.

I made up some custom fills as shown in the image, used them for the fill in the composite wall dialog, and I get nice straight lines (fills) in the walls.
ArchiCAD 25 & 24 USA
Windows 10 x64
Since ArchiCAD 9
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
Since you see that one fat line will blob up, make a new line type with your dashes at the interval you want and then multiply ten of them laterally very close together to broaden the stroke.
Hey! excellent tip Dwight I've been thinking about mimicking this line type for quite some time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dwight wrote:
I sympathise - Archicad tries to make pen lines look like Rapidograph lines, not Graphos lines.

When drawn with a medium pen weight, it will stay square and look solid.
Dwight,

I assume you are meaning to multiply the single line in the drawing, which is a handy trick but a bit tedious. So you got me thinking...

What about applying the same trick to a symbol line type? I tried it and it works to a point. Lines have to be adjusted at corners to look their best, Polylines do their weird squeeze/taper at corners, but do a great job on tangential joins.

Not perfect but it approaches something people have been wishing for mightily for a long time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
What about applying the same trick to a symbol line type?
That's how I interpreted Dwight's suggestion...and used it in a symbol line type. I agree with Matthew though that it would be a tedious job doing it purely as drawing lines....I would almost be tempted to do it as a fill offset to my liking using a very thin pen weight instead. I think the symbol line type method would be most preferred.
Dwight
Newcomer
On reflection i can see how you might interpret what i said as suggesting separate lines, but i intended the ten lines to be assembled together in the symbolic line as you suggest.

What a difference a word makes, eh?
Dwight Atkinson
Da3dalus
Enthusiast
Great advice, guys. I've just recently been faced with this question from an architect that wants to duplicate the zip-tape or LetraSet LetraLine patterns in ArchiCAD. They come in very handy for fire rating, as well as demarcation of phases, match lines, mark-ups, and work limits.

We've been doing it with AutoCAD for years... Polylines can have width, which forms sharp, thick dashes. They can even taper between points, though I can't say I've ever used it that way.

I've used the wall-fill trick, but unfortunately, you can't use walls in details or on layout, which is where I need them.
Chuck Kottka
Orcutt Winslow
Phoenix, Arizona, USA

ArchiCAD 25 (since 4.5)
Macbook Pro 15" Touchbar OSX 10.15 Core i7 2.9GHz/16GB RAM/Radeon Pro560 4GB