cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

ArchiCAD line weight - AutoCAD line weights

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I've got a pretty simple question about line weights, although after searching the forumI did not find an answer.

Basically I want to know what the line weights (i.e 0.13mm) in ArchiCAD, translate to which line weight in AutoCAD (i.e 0.05). Is there a table to show the 'translation'.?

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7
Barry Kelly
I don't know how Archicad translates them by default and I don't know how you can find out other than by experimentation.
But you can set up a colour and pen weight conversion table in the translator settings - FILE menu > FILE SPECIAL > DXF/DWG TRANSLATION SETUP.
I can't give you an example as I don't have it set up mysef.
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Barry wrote:
I don't know how Archicad translates them by default and I don't know how you can find out other than by experimentation.
But you can set up a colour and pen weight conversion table in the translator settings - FILE menu > FILE SPECIAL > DXF/DWG TRANSLATION SETUP.
I can't give you an example as I don't have it set up mysef.
Barry.
Thanks, but that's not quite what I meant.

I was in studio the other day and a tutor said to a student " Use 0.05pt line weight". I have to admit (and I'm ashamed to do so) but I have no idea what that means, since I've only worked in ArchiCAD. (which is 0.13mm which makes more sense don't you think?)

So now I need to learn the correct (pt) lineweights in case my placement next year use AutoCAD (highly likely) and I don't want to look dumb not knowing which weight is used for furniture, walls, roads etc.

Thank you
Erich
Contributor
You can set your pens up by points (Pt) or millimeters (mm) which ever you would like. The program will convert back and forth for you.
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich wrote:
You can set your pens up by points (Pt) or millimeters (mm) which ever you would like. The program will convert back and forth for you.
Brilliant thank you!

Another question regarding line weights: Are these set rules for which line weight is used for? Is it down to the individual practice? Generally how many line weights are in a drawing? cut, uncut and furniture/landscape?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Technical pens of olde set the various mm sizes that still seem to find favor today. The most popular sizes were, and [at least my] use of them on a 1/8" or 1/4" plan drawing:

0000 = 0.18 mm door swing, window glass, grid lines,
000 = 0.25mm the door leaf, casings, millwork, dashed overhead,
00 = 0.30 mm most of the heavy lifting, walls etc
1 = 0.50 mm outlines to emphasize edge of slab, outline of elevation,etc
Know that these assignments are personal - most offices will differ somewhat. Go to www.OnLand.info for some nice office standards type discussions. [Edited to correct web address...]

With computer printers the 0.13 lineweight is very usefull and should be used as the thinest line, in lieu of 0.18. I find the 0.10 line gets lost when contractors use field office copiers to get a second generation copy.

Personally I thought the pen range was skewed to the middle, 0.25 and 0.30 are too close for me. I now have remapped my pens to have a equal percent of increase (roughly 30%) from pen to pen, while retaining many of the old familiar mm sizes I "grew up with":
0.50 Archicad pen 1, typically the wall outer skin.
0.70 Here and heavier are special use - presentations, borders, grade cut, etc.
Generally speaking your drawings are easier to read and to manage over time if your restrain yourself to 4, maybe 5 pens for semi-universal use.

HTH
Snap
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Snap.
Thanks for the tips on line weights.
But did you mean:
http://www.onland.info/
??
If not, my apologies.
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lec,
Of course, you are correct. OnLand is it.
Mark