Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 10 MacTel Beta Feedback

archislave
Enthusiast
The Beta of the OSX universal release is running fast and stable on a Macbook with 512 mb ram. I would say it is almost equal to the iMac G5 with 1.5 gb ram!

The one thing that puzzles me about the beta is that it seems to have a totally different menu structure and does not seem to have a measure tool. It also did not seem to ship with templates or the default icon strip at the top. I don't know if it is because it is a work in progress or if I a missing something in my installation.

I think it is ready as far as speed and stability go!
Archislave

archicad 26.0 US, M2 Macbook Air
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable
archislave wrote:
The Beta of the OSX universal release is running fast and stable on a Macbook with 512 mb ram. I would say it is almost equal to the iMac G5 with 1.5 gb ram!
I too am finding it very fast on my MacBook Pro.

BTW: It is not a universal binary. It is a separate Intel native version which will not run on PPC.
The one thing that puzzles me about the beta is that it seems to have a totally different menu structure and does not seem to have a measure tool. It also did not seem to ship with templates or the default icon strip at the top. I don't know if it is because it is a work in progress or if I a missing something in my installation.
I haven't seen any major differences in the default work environments. You might want to check to see which one you have loaded. Of course, you can always change it to your heart's delight.
__archiben
Booster
here's some feedback:

don't try opening an AC10 intel-saved file (10.000 m /943) with the PPC version of AC10 if you value your entire layout book structure and master settings.

thanks a bunch mr graphisoft.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
here's some feedback:

don't try opening an AC10 intel-saved file (10.000 m /943) with the PPC version of AC10 if you value your entire layout book structure and master settings.

thanks a bunch mr graphisoft.

~/archiben
Now there's a major problem for an office to upgrade it's computers slowly to the macintel line!
owen
Newcomer
I assume its reproducible all the time? What about the view sets? Just wondering as it sounds similar to All views and layout subsets vanish upon opening project

Fortunately this doesn't seem to be an easliy reproduced bug .. for me at least.
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
__archiben
Booster
owen wrote:
I assume its reproducible all the time? What about the view sets? Just wondering as it sounds similar to All views and layout subsets vanish upon opening project

Fortunately this doesn't seem to be an easliy reproduced bug .. for me at least.
it's a template file i've been spending (a lot of) time on recently. i haven't defined the views yet - just the standard layout hierarchy - it has over 100 layouts in it. maybe there's a 'i-can't-handle-anymore' cut off?

i've tried saving and saving as..., opening on my own computer running AC10PPC in rosetta and on the rest of the office machines running AC10PPC natively.

i think this is a very similar bug to james', but luckily nowhere near as nasty in the severity stakes . . . more so because it's not a file that's in 'production' than anything else . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
Yikes! I guess it's good that my primary clients are on Windows. I'm having no problems so far, and the pesky library problem in AC9 is gone.
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:
~/archiben
This is frightening so I saved a 48mb pln w/ 80 layouts sheets to my MacBook and re-opened on my G5. No loss of data, sheets or master settings. I did the same to the corresponding 80mb pln w/ views linked to the layouts; again, no loss of view sets or data. This project was converted from AC9 (80mb pln w/ 250mb lbk), so as a precautionary step, we converted the plans & view sets to one pln (reduced from 52mb to 12mb) & the plotmaker lbk to a separate pln (250mb down to 48mb)

As for speed, the new native version on my MacBook is definitely speedier than w/ the rosetta translator, but slightly slower in generating elevations/3D (tip: avoid seo'd columns) than my G5.
__archiben
Booster
maybe someone could try my file? i've stripped it out of all information except for master settings and the layout/sheet organisation structure. it's been re-saved and tested again here with the same result: if you open it with the intel (10.0.0 RC1 INT (943)) build the layout structure and master settings are retained, if you open it with any PPC (10.0.0 v1 INT (817)) build everything is lost . . .

it's too big to attach here (571Kb) so anyone willing to give it a whirl may find it in my dotmac public folder (Finder: Go>iDisk>Other User's Public Folder... member name: "archiben", password: "archicad") . . . below is what the layout book hierarchy should begin to look like.

i'd appreciate anyone being able to either confirm whether or not it happens in their setup. i can at least then start looking for the problem in the right places . . . cheers!

(i agree that the intel build is fast though!)

~/archiben
sheetOragnisation.jpg
b e n f r o s t
Aussie John
Newcomer
Millard wrote:

Now there's a major problem for an office to upgrade it's computers slowly to the macintel line!
dont forget the release is a beta. I would want it be tested well before using it mainstream
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]