Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad 15 new features on youtube.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Here's some youtube clips on Archicad 15 new features.

http://emuarchitects.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/archicad-15-new-features/
181 REPLIES 181
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
mzex wrote:
is it possible to edit curtain wall in elevation or sections in archicad 15?

those creating hole in shell tool in elevation would be great to be possible doing with walls.

what I really miss is in place editing skins of composite walls. something like with curtain wall, you press edit and then each wall skin would be treated as separate wall, which would make me able to define which skins should be connected together. or if needed one skin is finished earlier than the rest of the wall. after you are finished with editing you pres OK and then wall is again just a wall with custom geometry and with connections in model. now instead of doing that in model I have to go to worksheet to clean wall intersections.

is it possible in AC 15 to have wall with changing height without using roof tool and SEO?

is possible in AC15 to do in place editing of modules?

Is it possible to copy (drag a copy) objects in sections?
The answer is no to all these questions.
I would say that users should watch all videos about AC15 new features.
What you do not see in those videos is most probably not in AC15 as a new feature.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Jose wrote:
mzex wrote:

I use simpleaddons for this.
I second this.

Great set of addons.

Like the name says, they are simple addons and do the most seemingly basic things (that ArchiCAD doesn't do, for whatever bewildering reason) in the most logical and intuitive way.

In fact, working with them, makes you wonder why it is that ArchiCAD 14 (or v15) doesn't do these functions straight out of the box.
mzex wrote:
is it possible to edit curtain wall in elevation or sections in archicad 15?

those creating hole in shell tool in elevation would be great to be possible doing with walls.

is it possible in AC 15 to have wall with changing height without using roof tool and SEO?

is possible in AC15 to do in place editing of modules?

What Jose said.

In addition it's also possible with Simpleaddons to control wall heights by linking them to the Storey height or the Storey elevation height marker.

Something that frankly speaking should also be automatically included as a basic option in the wall tool right out of the box in ArchiCAD without having to rely on addons.

It's amazing how many things you can make ArchiCAD do with some of these simple addons you can get and it also makes you wonder why, if these third party developers (some of whom make these addons in their free time and as hobbies) can make these functions available in ArchiCAD, then why is it that in ArchiCAD 15 we still don't have these basic functions with all the resources that Graphisoft developers have in their hands.
It's especially annoying when you have to spend anywhere from $120-$250 or even $300 for each of these addons on top of the close to $5000 you spend on a license of ArchiCAD.

Another great set of addons I recently came across through LinkedIn is this guy's set:-

http://cadswift.com.au/products/

I especially like how logical, flexible and easy to use his balustrade/railing tool is as well as the Joinery/cabinet addon.

I would hope that with AC15's new modeling capabilites, that some of these functions will be available to users in AC16 without having to spend the extra on Addons.
Anonymous
Not applicable
we have seen the shell tool, what of a more powerful 2d bim tool and line clean-ups with ease.........................
Barry Kelly
Why would you want to draw 2D lines in a 3D modelling tool?
And what could be easier the CTRL click to cut off overlapping lines or select and CRTL click to extend.
Or simply grabbing the end node and stretching it.

Can you explain with more detail what you want?
Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
barry kelly, what i really mean is making 2d lines on elevation easy to cleanup.
if you have any tips on how that can be done without taking your time please share. thanks.
Barry Kelly
redworks wrote:
barry kelly, what i really mean is making 2d lines on elevation easy to cleanup.
if you have any tips on how that can be done without taking your time please share. thanks.
That would depend on what sort of linework you are trying to clean up.
But you really shouldn't have to do very much 2D linework at all.
If you model it with 3D components as it is built then the elevations should pretty much look after themselves.

If you can show some examples of what you are struggling with then I am sure we can come up with some solutions.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
This may not be the right place to post this, but since AC 15 addresses some of the "free form" modeling issues so many have clamored about I thought I'd put it here.

I just returned from seeing a show of the fifth year thesis projects at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in central California. Cal Poly will graduate 183 (!) students in architecture this year and I believe nearly all of the students had projects at the show.

In contrast to previous years, there had to be no more than a a handful of projects that one might consider "blobitecture". The vast majority were made of conventional form elements easily made in ArchiCad-although the modeler of choice among the students seems to be Rhino.

So what does this mean for the future of architecture? I really don't know, but if current student work is any indicator
us mere mortal architects need not fear the "blob".

Don Lee
Anonymous
Not applicable
hello ! I have a question regarding the new shell tool capabilities.

I saw in the demo videos that once a shell is created i can go back and change the base path and/or the profile. Can i insert for example new nodes in a straight vector path of an extruded shape, then drag them and make the resulted extrusion be updated accordingly? I mean will it have the same tools like when editing a polyline?
Don wrote:
This may not be the right place to post this, but since AC 15 addresses some of the "free form" modeling issues so many have clamored about I thought I'd put it here.

I just returned from seeing a show of the fifth year thesis projects at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo in central California. Cal Poly will graduate 183 (!) students in architecture this year and I believe nearly all of the students had projects at the show.

In contrast to previous years, there had to be no more than a a handful of projects that one might consider "blobitecture". The vast majority were made of conventional form elements easily made in ArchiCad-although the modeler of choice among the students seems to be Rhino.

So what does this mean for the future of architecture? I really don't know, but if current student work is any indicator
us mere mortal architects need not fear the "blob".

Don Lee

Since you brought it up, majority of people who clamor for better modeling tools in ArchiCAD are not necessarily asking GS for tools to build "blobitecture".

This is just a red herring argument constantly and commonly employed by the 'status quo' and "stand pat" crowd in trying to make the argument that ArchiCAD doesn't need any improvement in its modeling tools.

People asking for better modeling tools could be something as simple as requesting Boolean functions (SEO) that not only work correctly and are easy to manage, but also which display correct for documentation (read : display correctly in plan and don't force one to have to clean up the drawings after the fact).
People asking for better tools could be something as basic as having a much more improved and enhanced Stair tool which doesn't limit you to a very archaic template which doesn't conform to most modern building code regulations and requirements and which also does not cripple one's creativity in terms of designing aesthetically creative stairs.

Better modeling tools could also mean the ability to apply custom profiles to slab edges aor roof edges to better represent actual conventional structures like roof fascias without having to undergo a ton of modeling and work-around acrobatics.

Or maybe just the ability to build custom library objects (of any shape or form) and make them parametric without having to type down a thousand lines of gdl code.

It doesn't always have to boil down to or come down to "blobitecture".
Just basic tools to do what people basically need on a a day-to-day basis without having to resort to a ton of ludicrous work-arounds.

Furthermore one would also question the wisdom in trying determine or divine the future of architecture from thesis projects of a single architecture school out of many (or any school for that matter).