Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Archicad for Linux

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi,

I think the linux market share will grow in 2005.
I usually work with OpenOffice 1.9, Mozzila, Gaim, Skype, Oracle 10g, GIMP 2.1, Blender, Dia, ArcGIS 9.0 software that run on windows and linux,
I would like to work with a version of Archicad for linux,

Now we only have Building Information Modeling (BIM) software in linux:
- ARCAD 90, from www.arcad.de - only in german i think
- BricsCad, (brings DWG to the LINUX community) beta version, from www.bricscad.com
and a old 2D Software - Microstation 95 for Linux
Does anybody know if there will be a linux version of archicad in 2005?

thanks,
Bernardino
153 REPLIES 153
Anonymous
Not applicable
imho it is no matter why GS don't work on Achicad for linux. GS don't want do that it is fact and that all.
Archicad crashing on wine when I try go to 3d window, or try to make build some section.
I also try install, 10 but jvm that installed in opensuse has older then required... And can not run newer one.
one more problem is quick time... It installs ok throw wine but then i have some funny things... on gnome desktop. I will try gnu clone of qt...
henrypootel
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
People are really starting to warm up to Linux now(especially Ubuntu).
http://linux.sys-con.com/read/382946.htm
The guy in this article is obviously an IT manager or something, but it's a good example of how Windows-based IT pros(myself included) are starting to feel a bit envious of their Linux counterparts.
I would drop Windows in a second if i could run Archicad on Linux instead.
Josh Osborne - Central Innovation

HP Zbook Studio G4 - Windows 10 Pro, Intel i7 7820HQ, 32Gb RAM, Quadro M1200
Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to say the same about suse(opensuse)
More only on points about viruses, net and secure, imho suse is more secure, becase it has own aditional applications from novell and all many years(for shure more then 20) of experiense of novell in netware... So I vote for Suse ))))
Also SuSe have XEN(virtual mashine like VMware) on CD...
From some reason I don't like UBUNTU, maybe it is because debian based...
Can it work with rpm packages? that is close to standart on software distributions for linux like OSes...
Impore understand the love to mandrake. I try mandrake One I think it perfect... I run it with all hardwere(including nvidia propriate drivers) from cd... It realy best choise. The Same I can said about Knoppix live CD but I don't like it interface... It more stable imho but did not use propriate drivers from nvidia...
So imho mandrake best in usebility... But my paranoidal wish is in choosing suse ))) Also suse is preinstaled on some Thinkpad produced by Lenovo... Renault also choose Suse... (it is interesting what cad they use)
build with peace ))
Anonymous
Not applicable
Or why they don't they to give some info to linux ppl so they can try to improve compatibility with emulators today there is no big problem with pc power. Also I don't think that the database style archicad is more complicated than fluid dynamics + animation + particles + lightning at the same time. even when you design archicad process only the working window not all together. you will never see AC to update simultaneously section/elevation window when you do something on ground floor until you activate it. I would be pleased if GS give a try to linux even without official support. I think I would worth a try.
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
...moving on, what is the steriotypical userbase for linux? University educated, young, from an engineering, technical or similar background.
What is the userbase for ArchiCAD?
let me answer this one:
underpaid (usually), tired from arguing with a client, builder and consultants, cranky as hell when facing to some IT-server-driver-network crap that does not work today... that's a reality mate... and yes there is that BIM thingy...

it's been discussed here ad nauseam...however questions in regards to unix/linux

WHO?
no properly unified unix platform at the commercial level
lack of IT managers...who is going to fix this beast?
ok, academic staff... well, I just wonder how much economical impact they create as oppose to lets say a family-house-size projects office (usually one man circus)

WHY?
I have OSX/Win, that will do, now I have to speak to an angry builder...I can't be bothered to go for something that even does not have ONE major stream product

WHEN?
well, definitely not now, I reckon GS would overstretch themselves greatly for a very disputable outcome and that's despite the fact that Vista is a genuine piece of poo.
::rk
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
unfortunately it's not just about getting the mighty unix and everything else will come along...
there is photoshop, illustrator, ms-office, outlook etc..
you would reckon that it is possible to use other alternatives on unix platform... well, wrong...
the UI of let's say ms-outlook means actually the computer and OS itself...replace it and suddenly you are facing real problems where people would not be able to send an email just because the new look of it. I have tried some people (on win) to use mac finder - they were lost because of different icons!!!... do not underestimate a common cad-monkey (I should not talk like that though) and their 'attachment' to a particular visual routine.
my point is that you can provide super-duper os system but if it does not have a look of MS World 95 and is cheap and my neighbour does have it and when I want to look smart talking about IT we are using in the office with the client they will go... aaahh so you've got the latest ms excel - not knowing what it actually does but it feels safe to talk about the 'technology' with an architect, you can not expect public to appreciate.

it's about that IT jargon of people pretending their interest in computers (you can do things...fantastic) where 'ms word' means any typed document, 'photoshop' stands for any photo printed out from your digital camera, and at the moment the word unix means... eehh pardon me?

I have been in this industry long enough and I have to say I have not seen and arch. office on unix ever...

the final note: I am referring to unix or linux excluding OSX as it's probably most successfully implemented version of it.... so it brings me to realisation that we have an unix version of AC after all!
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
well, the major problem is, I suppose, a psychological one...you have to persuade your boss to get used to new supporting software in terms of installing it and staff training, new IT guy etc... and this is a big unknown...
just and example: how should I talk to my boss about the unix platform knowing a little about that so if they asked me like have you ever worked with unix before and can you guarantee that is going to work?
well, I wouldn't put my balls on the line in a such case, honestly...
who should I talk to and how much is going to cost me this 'eye-opening' exercise? it's completely unimaginable with a big office and I can tell you it is an almost impossible task to go over all those hurdles in a such environment (too many people with fantastic ideas and big, big egos). that would need some dedication from a very specialized fello...and I just wonder about availability of a such person on the market.
Anonymous
Not applicable
We are not talking about changing ppl habits but the ability to use linux for whatever reasons anyone has. As for training of the employs its to easy. In worst scenario is like going from AC9 to AC10 . and as u should know most of AC users have no idea about their OS they know to click AC icon on their desktop and then click save to my documents. if anything happens they ask crying their IT ppl to solve their dying PC
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
As for training of the employs its to easy. In worst scenario is like going from AC9 to AC10
this is actually a good point (well, slightly in your disadvantage) I agree that AC9 to AC10 was a major pain BUT there was an obvious incentive for us to get upgraded our primary tool. HOWEVER we do not have to upgrade our OS as it works just fine... and I believe changing OS is not so easy as you are trying to suggest.
stefan
Advisor
The thread that just would not die 😉

Everytime people defend Linux and Open Source software, they always seem to suggest the same few applications: Gimp, Firefox, OpenOffice, Blender etc.. FWIW, many of these applications weren't Open Source at all when they were created (e.g. Blender. And was Netscape originally Open Source before Mozilla was founded?). While you could create a list to compare applications, many people will understand that a list of features does not make a productive application. Blender has become quite a powerful application, but it's not on the level of Maya, 3ds max or Cinema4D.

I've said it before: ArchiCAD is an expensive and closed-source commercial BIM application, for a fairly small market segment. The huge effort to port it to also support Linux would probably be a very expensive investment, with very little hope of becoming break-even, since currently almost no architects or engineers are using Linux.

Graphisoft still insists to support OSX (although Intel-only in the near future), while most competitors have been or have become Windows-only (AutoCAD, Revit, MicroStation, Allplan). Is there anything to gain for the relatively small Graphisoft?
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book