Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Architects: Revit or ArchiCad?

DGSketcher
Legend
Archicad offers flexible working & adaptable tools from a company that cares about its users.

Revit - If you are happy supporting greedy corporations.

Seriously, you should try both before you make a choice, but a grounding in Archicad won't hurt.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
23 REPLIES 23
LaszloNagy wrote:

AFAIK, it was not re-purposed from Pro Engineer. It was developed by people who previously worked on Solidworks (and maybe Pro Engineer), but it is true, they were much more engineers than architects. And I agree that it really shows in how Revit looks and works.

About isometric vs. perspective: they have made a few improvements in that area so now you can move around in Perspective as well, and there are also several editing operations you can perform there. So it is no longer true that you can only work in Axonometric Views in Revit (it was true a few versions ago).

Good to know it was improved in this regard.
It was a pain in the neck to work with when I used to use it years ago ( back in 2011) largely for that reason (among many many more).

Also, interesting to hear about the origins.
I had always understood that it had its roots in Pro-E.
Perhaps it was just the developers and not the core or the program itself who had links to Pro-E.
And yes it feels much more like an engineering program than an Architectural design software.

Colleagues I know who still use it even confess they do almost no design (in the traditional sense) while working with it and mostly just use it as a documentation tool more than anything and most of their firms use a combination of Sketchup and Revit or Rhino and Revit, - depending on the type of projects they work on - with Revit only coming into the picture once the main design issues have been resolved in those other software.
Bricklyne wrote:
with Revit only coming into the picture once the main design issues have been resolved in those other software.
I have often made the same observation. Revit users seem not to be using Revit only but Revit with add-on software like Sketchup and Autocad ... Revit is incomplete or not adequate enough to force its users to add tools. Archicad users do not use Sketchup or an accompanying 2D drawing tools ... or very anecdotally.
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin
stefan
Expert
Regardless of software, architects should preferably have successful projects. And the software itself does not define this success.

Other than that, there are countless similarities and differences. In the end it doesn't matter that much. If you are your own boss, you can choose for yourself. If you are an employee, somebody else made the choice for you, probably. Little you can do and hardly any benefit to switch, often.

ARCHICAD shows mostly its legacy of being focused on architecture and using a plan/drafting first approach. Start in plan, refine in 3D and sections.

Revit focuses on a broader scope, especially with MEP toolset. And many offices rely on custom library development, which seems to happen less with ARCHICAD users.
--- stefan boeykens --- bim-expert-architect-engineer-musician ---
Archicad27/Revit2023/Rhino8/Unity/Solibri/Zoom
MBP2023:14"M2MAX/Sonoma+Win11
Archicad-user since 1998
my Archicad Book
stefan wrote:
Regardless of software, architects should preferably have successful projects. And the software itself does not define this success.
Absolutely as I often say: "The tool does not use" (I hope I have translated well)
Christophe - FRANCE
Archicad Designer and Teacher
Archicad 15 to 27 FRA FULL

OS 11.6 Big Sur - MacBook Pro 2017 - 16Go RAM
"Quality is never an accident ; it's always the result of an intelligent effort" John Ruskin