cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Autosaving backup copies

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

In Vectorworks (my office's previous' CAD software), the program was able to save backup copies at periodic intervals (say 10 minutes) as you worked on the file in a designated folder, and it could save up to a certain number of most backups (e.g. 20). So every 10 minutes, it would make a copy of your file, and it would keep 20 of those back up copies, and keep overwriting the last one etc so you would never get more than 20. This was quite handy as it meant that you could essentially go back in time to a file 200 minutes ago (or whatever you set it to be), even if the user never hit Ctrl + S.

Is there an equivalent system in ARCHICAD? As far as I am aware the autosave backup file in ARCHICAD only exists if it closes down unexpectedly. So if a user has been working on a file for an hour and forgets to save, then shuts down the file and accidentally hits "No", the backup file would disappear, and the hour's work would be lost.

Is that correct?
1 REPLY 1
Barry Kelly
That is correct.
The autosave is only there for an unforeseen shutdown.
If you choose to close the file Archicad will assume it has been closed on purpose and so will clear the autosave file.

There is a permanent backup file, but it will only be the one copy and only saves when you physically save the file yourself (the currently saved file becomes the backup (.BPN) file and the new save replaces the working file (.PLN).

So if you want multiple backup files you will need to find a stand alone app (program) that can automatically copy and sequence your file/files.
Search for backup software - there is plenty out there.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11