Installation & update
About program installation and update, hardware, operating systems, setup, etc.

Multiple Files of Project in Finder Keep Duplicating

ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

So as I’m designing and do work in Archicad on my projects, it keeps making multiple copies in Finder for some reason. Can not for the life of me figure out what is going on here. On some projects I’m up to 20+ files in Finder, so weird. It’s not the backup version cause these are all the PLN files. Super mysterious one, any ideas? Thank you!

ethanbodnar_0-1714147180950.png

ethanbodnar_1-1714147191435.png

Operating system used: Mac Intel-based

7 REPLIES 7

Do you use iCloud Drive for the Desktop and Documents folder? This is what caused the same issue to happen for me. It seemed to have been fixed with the latest macOS and Archicad updates though. I haven’t seen it happen for a long time. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

Huh thanks! Yes, use iCloud Drive.

I'm on v26 of Archicad and macOS Ventura. Kinda stuck with Archicad pricing model and support for OS versions I think, not sure I can upgrade the OS.

But maybe I need to see if AC26 has an upgrade haven't installed yet...

ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

Wait a second! I did not verify that this is the solution. Can we please unmark this as being solved. This is super basic issue with Archicad that does not happen with any other software. iCloud Drive is like industry standard. I'll report back when I'm able to solve this issue, thank you so much! 

It can often be caused by  slow or intermittent internet connection.  I haven’t had this happen for a long time now.  I’m running the latest macOS Sonoma and the latest update of Archicad 26 and Archicad 27.2.0. 

it may be worth trying a PRAM reset on your Mac and also boot in to safe mode and then reboot back to normal. It’s surprising what funny glitches these two methods can fix. 

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.2.0
macOS Sonoma (14.4.1)

I have unmarked it as a solution (as original post author, you can do that as well in the options (3 dots)).

I recommend you do not work directly in a cloud folder, unless you can control when it syncs.

I would always work on the file saved to a local drive and then copy it to the sync folder when you are ready for it to sync.

You shouldn't really need it to be 'live' while you are working on the file, as no-one else can work on the file at the same time (this is not teamwork).

I am not sure if it is actually Archicad saving the new file or the cloud program diverting it to a new file because the original is still syncing.

If the cloud is syncing it, then it can not overwrite the original file.

Especially if you 'save' in Archicad and then 'save' again straight away.

The first save will cause the cloud to start syncing the file, but it may not be finished by the time you 'save' again (because of the larger file sizes, it will take a little while to sync), so it will save as a new file.

You would have to test this yourself and monitor the cloud folder as you save in Archicad.

If the cloud folder is not syncing, then the save from Archicad should overwrite the original file.

If it duplicates straight away, you might need to look at the options in your cloud sync app.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
ethanbodnar
Enthusiast

Very much appreciate Barry and Lee's suggestions here and I'll rework how I have things set up. Thanks for helping me sort this out! Sounds like this will take some experimentation to figure out unfortunately. 

While this is not collaborative file, it's best to have things backed up and iCloud Drive is super straightforward in doing that behind the scenes, and works seamlessly across other advanced design programs, without any of this duplicating files funny business.

This sort of buggy behavior from this level of software is unacceptable in 2024 when the notion of the cloud has been around for so long. Unless we can point to the spot where Graphisoft in either the onboarding flow or support documentation says that you should not use iCloud Drive (maybe it does say that somewhere) I'd like please request that this is convereted into a Wish for the Graphisoft team to address. Or just add this to the support documentation so like we all know what's up with things.

It should also be noted for troubleshooting for anyone else that I did not experience this with v24 or v25 of Archicad and was using the same iCloud Drive setup then.

Lingwisyer
Guru

I feel like I have had this issue with large Adobe files and OneDrive, though that was 10 years ago... Does iCloud still have issues with large excel files?

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660

Setup info provided by author