cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Autotext with reference ???

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello !

We don't quite understand the use of AutoText (with reference)..below our questions...

What does Output Scale do?
Clients want to make a detail-book; they place each detail-view on a unique layout with its own Master Layout. Now they want the name, number and scale of this drawing in the lower-right corner of the layout (in Dutch we call this the stamp..?). We want to do this with Autotext but the Drawing name, number and cale only work icw a Title Type; this is not the answer. When I set a drawing as reference asn I place Autotext with reference in the master all the text in the layout is as the reference drawing. When I place the Autotext with reference in the Layouts it's actually not really a practical Autotext-item anymore; I have to dot it for all details again...
We can't come up with any practical example when to use Autotext with reference.When do you use this? Can you give examples of practical situations to use this. I read the manual but we can't put it in practise.
When we use Autotext with reference some items that are in the list are also there under AutoText; what's the difference in practise; can you give examples in practise when you, for example, use layout name from the AutoText list and use layout name from the AutoText with reference list

Hope to hear from you!

With regards,
Vince
Holland
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
Vincent wrote:
Hello !

We don't quite understand the use of AutoText (with reference)..below our questions...

What does Output Scale do?
This is the scale of the drawing in the layout. This can be different from the original scale of the drawing if this has been overridden and changed in PlotMaker (not recommended as a general practice).
Clients want to make a detail-book; they place each detail-view on a unique layout with its own Master Layout. Now they want the name, number and scale of this drawing in the lower-right corner of the layout (in Dutch we call this the stamp..?). We want to do this with Autotext but the Drawing name, number and cale only work icw a Title Type; this is not the answer. When I set a drawing as reference asn I place Autotext with reference in the master all the text in the layout is as the reference drawing. When I place the Autotext with reference in the Layouts it's actually not really a practical Autotext-item anymore; I have to dot it for all details again...
The only way to accomplish what you want here is with the Title Type. The Master layout has no ability to know what drawing is placed on it (a wish list item?). I don't see why you can't make the stamp you want as a Title Type and move it to where you want it on each sheet. Perhaps the best arrangement would be to make a Master with the basic information and graphics with a place holder for the drawing title. (You are aware these can be moved independently of the drawing?)
We can't come up with any practical example when to use Autotext with reference.When do you use this? Can you give examples of practical situations to use this. I read the manual but we can't put it in practise.
Same here. I can't imagine and haven't run into any situation where it would be useful.
When we use Autotext with reference some items that are in the list are also there under AutoText; what's the difference in practise; can you give examples in practise when you, for example, use layout name from the AutoText list and use layout name from the AutoText with reference list
Since I haven't come up with any uses for the "Autotext with reference" yet I can't ... NO WAIT, I have an idea. Just a minute, I have to try this out.

This is VERY cool (maybe). It is a bit of a clumsy work around but this can work to make a list of layouts (table of contents) for the cover sheet.

I have just placed copies of the same drawing on multiple layouts. I then set each in turn as the reference drawing and placed the "Autotext with reference" of the layout name for each drawing on the first layout. By doing this for each sheet in the set it becomes possible to produce a table of contents which will update itself as sheet names and numbers are changed.

Whether it is worth the trouble remains to be seen.

HTH,
Matthew
Anonymous
Not applicable
The only way to accomplish what you want here is with the Title Type. The Master layout has no ability to know what drawing is placed on it (a wish list item?). I don't see why you can't make the stamp you want as a Title Type and move it to where you want it on each sheet. Perhaps the best arrangement would be to make a Master with the basic information and graphics with a place holder for the drawing title. (You are aware these can be moved independently of the drawing?)

Because then I have to do this manually x times for every detail

Thanks for taking my questions into consideration!
Anonymous
Not applicable
This gives me an idea. Perhaps it would be useful to be able to specify in each title type where it should initially appear in relation to the drawing. This would eliminate the manual adjustment and make your detail book fully automatic.

Vincent,

Since this requirement is of special interest in your area, would you care to do the honors of adding this topic to the wish list?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I also posted it on the dealer's testtrack. I wait for what GS has to say and then I will!

It's most efficient to talk about topics on this platform!
I'm new here and enthousiastic!
Thanks again!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Good to have you join us.

Welcome.
Here's a use for 'Set as Autotext Reference'

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3139

This is a royal pain, but it works. I use it to get detail-tool-type automatic numbering out of old-fashioned (object) detail markers. This is the way to get a detail marker (object) to refer to a section or plan window view.

It shows the sort of tech that is working in the background. If they could just find a way to get it front of the user. Another powerful, unfinished feature.
James Murray

Archicad 27 • Rill Architects • macOS • OnLand.info