cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
License Delivery maintenance is expected to occur on Saturday, October 19, between 4 and 6 PM CEST. This may cause a short 60-minute outage in which license-related tasks: license key upload, download, update, SSA validation, access to the license pool may not function properly. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

BIM details.. what a pain in the ass

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am attempting to completely model a house, I want to stay away from exploding and drawing in 2D, because I'm fed up with BIM not living upto expectations. I had an issue this weekend which made me realise that BIM still has a long way to come, unless I'm missing A LOT. sure, it's great that you can show someone in a sales pitch how quickly you can draw four walls, a hip roof, throw a window and door in there and render it.. WOW, I'm sold (but I'm not so much anymore) There are so many details that seem to be such an arduous task to complete but yet would be considered essential to what a true BIM model should be. I am by no means an expert in ArchiCAd, so I'm hoping to be won back with your replies to this post.

In my ranting state I'm sure that much of what I've said doesnt make sense, so let me put an example to it. I put a window in a wall, a very simple single hung casement window out of the andersen window library, and I want to put a brick row-lock under the window.. how do you do it? sure I could draw a little piece of wall there and make it look like a row-lock, but in my opinion that's not the point of BIM, the row-lock is part of the wall, thus it should be modeled as such. I get so sick of work-arounds, and "well this LOOKS right", and I'm sure theres accesories and add-ons I could BUY to do this, but in my opinion that's a bunch of bull5hit I should NOT have to pay thousands of dollars for an architectural modeling programme, and then run out and pay another 5000 dollars for 12 different add-ons to be able to make proper stairs, decent windows, wall cladding, doors, skylights, landscaping.. ArchiCAd should bloody well do these things out of the box, I know this has been said so many times, and it's so frustrating to me to see that nothing is being done about the problem wether in ArchiCAd Revit, whatever.. I know that I'll end up staying with ArchiCAD, but AC10 better damn well be a stunning piece of software.. or I'm just gonna lose it.

Maybe I'm way off base and theres a bunch of simplet things that I'm over looking that are causing me to have problems like this, but It just seems to be so incredibly ineffecient to completely model a house, when BIM is supposed to make everything so much more efficient, theres times when I hoenstly feel like I could hand draught a house faster than someone coulde model it in a BIM programme. (I'd also like everyone to know that ,with the exceptions of the add-on rant, I think all the BIM programmes out there are equally lacking in this area of modelling, not just AC)

someone help me.....
convince me that BIM isn't a clusterfsck of endless work-arounds and addons, to make things "look" correct, rather than be correct.. which is the entire point of BIM...

cheers,
Daniel

PS. It's monday and I haven't had a fag today, sorry if that all came out a little harsh.

PSS... apparently f.ag is censored.. I haven't had a cigarette today.
31 REPLIES 31
Jere
Expert
Daniel wrote:
PS: jere; were in Canada are you located?
Thunder Bay, Ontario; on the northwestern shore of Lake Superior.
ArchiCAD 26; Windows 11; Intel i7-10700KF; 64GB RAM, GeForce GTX 3060
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats unfortunate, if you were in Windsor I'd come over for a drink and a bitch-about-archicad evening with you