cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Bad Pet Pallet, Bad (No biscuit)

Anonymous
Not applicable
In the thread about AC14 grips, I noticed a few mentions about the pet pallet behaving poorly. I too have experienced this. In fact, I think this issue is getting so bad it really needs to be addressed directly.

I started in 12 and for the most part, I can't remember the pet pallet being a problem. In 13, I can remember having to chase the pallet around a few times and sometimes I needed to hit the option button on the pallet more than once to get it to register.

But in 14, the pallet has become really unruly.

My first issue is chasing the pallet around. I don't know how many times I have gone to press a button on the pallet and it thinks it's in the way only to jump to another spot. I don't know if there already is a way to COMPLETELY shut that off, if there is I can't find it, as the behavior has NEVER served to help me but only to annoy me.

My second issue is the pallet not staying where I put it (and reappearing there when needed). I try to get it to open off to the side but instead it appears in the area I tend to be working the most in. I don't know how many times I have had to either move the pallet or close it because it's just so happens to appear over the 40x40 pixel block I happen to need to see at that moment in the middle of the screen. These are the times I wish it would realize it's in my way and move, but it NEVER does (thanks Murphy).

My third issue is the buttons registering when pressed. Often I'm finding myself having to press the button I want and it won't register, then having to press another button, then re-hitting the button I want to get it to register. This happens often because I might have to use a hot spot on an object that AC defaults to a particular tool in anticipation that's probably what I'll use. The most common one is getting the default STRETCH tool but needing the MOVE tool. I will have to hit MOVE, then re-hit STRETCH (or one of the other buttons besides multiply because it brings up a dialog box), and then finally hit MOVE again to get it to register.

My fourth issue is the defaulting to a certain tool. I wish there was better control over this. In particular I more often move things than stretch them that I would rather have it default to move instead. I seem to remember being able to drag the object a certain way and it would go to move but it seems at least in 14 it always defaults to stretch (I'm thinking about the reference line on walls and 2D lines here primarily).

With the problem registering a button click, moving something (which I do a lot of) usually means I have to make 3 or more clicks and it's very frustrating. That's after I've chased it down or have had to move/close it.

Some days I just have to shake my head at how much time and effort I waste on something that I shouldn't have to. I can imagine others have similar experiences and are frustrated by the pet pallet.

This is one place I'm hoping Graphisoft can apply some polish and get the pet pallet back under control (hopefully sooner than later).
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just in case.
Are the settings here not helping?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Those options haven't helped. My computer is set to the option shown. Other option is more annoying.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Another buggy behavior is when the pet pallet refuses to generate when I touch a hot spot until I go from 2d to 3d or vice-versa and generate the pet pallet off of a different hot spot.

I'm unsure if it's placing it under the main window or if it's generating the pet pallet off the edge of the screen. Sometimes I can see a quick flash that gives me the impression it's under the main window, but I also use dual monitors and I've lost stuff on the desktop before by having it render on a piece of desktop that wasn't visible.