Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Can this (roofs, domes, arches) be done in ArchiCAD 12?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Help solve the following problem. Urgently needs to be done in ArchiCAD project proposal to the church in 3D. I do not know what better to make a curved roof, the domes and arches. Few have worked with ArchiForma 2 and Objective 2.25: (enclose a picture with your questions.
Can anyone have links to videos with similar examples would be very grateful. Thanks in advance:)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Your pictures did not attatch properly so I can't see specifically what you mean to do, but the best method is often to use profiled walls. This should be particularly true for Ukrainian onion domes* if that is what you need.

The great things about this method are that you keep the number of elements to a minimum, you can make the profiles highly detailed with multiple materials, and they are self intersecting. They should also show up in plan views as you want them (or can with adjustment of the floor plan cut plane).

One possible drawback is that roof windows and dormers won't work (but they don't work in segmented roofs either) so you'll probably need to use SEOs for any penetrations, though doors and windows can be used.

*As they are called here in the US.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Help solve the following problem. Urgently needs to be done in ArchiCAD project proposal to the church in 3D. I do not know what better to make a curved roof, the domes and arches. Few have worked with ArchiForma 2 and Objective 2.25: (enclose a picture with questions if released.
Can anyone have links to videos with similar examples would be very grateful. Thanks in advance:)
Anonymous
Not applicable
The upper of two on the right should be easy enough with profiled walls. The lower one will be a bit tricky to get a smooth transition from the round cupola to the square eaves. This could be done with the mesh tool. It looks like a candidate for Mesh Generator by Masterscript.

The two on the left can also be modeled with profiles but will require SEOs to cut away at the arches. Since the SEOs will not affect the plan view it may be best to save the roof models as library parts. Keep the originals on an unused story or hidden layer so you can revise and update the parts easily.

The attached shows a couple of quick examples. The box on the left is a slab on an SEO layer set to wireframe. The operation is intersection with the roofs as targets and the slab as operator. Note that a curved wall cannot make a complete 360 so the default is two walls of 180 each, so rotate them so the seams don't fall on any openings if possible.
Dome Roofs.jpg
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
ksarchitec wrote:
Urgently needs to be done in ArchiCAD project proposal to the church in 3D. I do not know what better to make a curved roof, the domes and arches. Few have worked with ArchiForma 2 and Objective 2.25: (enclose a picture with your questions.
Most of this is easy with OBJECTiVE. You can create the domes by drawing a cross-section through the dome and creating a swept profile object with OBJECTiVE's profiling tools. Refer to some other examples I've posted recently.

OBJECTiVE's Split tool will also help you to cut portions of the dome away, rendering it correctly in 2D and 3D. You can also create, bend, rotate, and cut section profiles to create arches and other details. Another student recently sent a picture of a model they completed with OBJECTiVE with some similar detailing (attached).

Note that OBJECTiVE is free for use with the educational version of ArchiCAD. Download here.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies. I will try your proposed options. Is not completely clear translation but I'll try (I'm from Ukraine). If there are more questions I hope you can help.

Dear Ralph Wessel. Tell me please how to set the thickness of the element in expanding Objective. I have an element of the thin, but the link you provided to the contrary. Thanks in advance