Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Copy duplicate all stories

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys
So I have a plot of land and I want to put more than one house on it. How do I copy all the stories in one go to make a duplicate? have tried Merge a file and the Filter Elements in 3D in which I suppose should do this function. All miss out one or more stories in the copy.
Could anyone help in any way please.
Best
Fred
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable
you mean duplicate stuff on mutiple stories in the same file?

if so, you can use the 'heavy' marquee to select the stuff you want duplicated and litteraly drag a copy of it and place it wherever you want.

-place a 'heavy' marquee around all the elemnts you want duplicated
-hit ctrl (or apple) D and press alt once to drag a copy of the elements.
-click inside the marquee, ideally on an element that you'll use to place the duplicate stuff with.
-drag your cursor to where you want to place the stuff and click.

it'll give you a warning dialog saying it's duplicating stuff on unseen stories, click continue and hey presto.

HTH
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the post but I still can't make it work.
Heavy Marquee around objects 🙂
but nothing is selected, ok with the pointer draw a quad inside the Marguee and all are selected. Whatever I do from here on, right/click ,move, drag a copy, or edit/copy paste or ctl - alt drag.
One or more stories are omitted. Have checked for locked layers, and none, no warning, nothing.
No hair left to pull out so have to rely on you guys.
AC10-10
Fred Wright
Anonymous
Not applicable
Broker wrote:
Thanks for the post but I still can't make it work.
Heavy Marquee around objects 🙂
but nothing is selected, ok with the pointer draw a quad inside the Marguee and all are selected. Whatever I do from here on, right/click ,move, drag a copy, or edit/copy paste or ctl - alt drag.
One or more stories are omitted. Have checked for locked layers, and none, no warning, nothing.
No hair left to pull out so have to rely on you guys.
AC10-10
Fred Wright
nonono! don't select anything inside (or outside for that matter) the marquee. just place it and drag a copy command.... not having selected anything allows the marquue to act as the selection method (i hope i'm making sence, i know what i mean )
Anonymous
Not applicable
🙂
uh uh no go, this way I get just one object.

Ahhh but Marquee, EDIT/Copy/Paste works

Gee whizz I came from Autocad where I was an ace. Now I'm back to being a duffer but with a little help from people like you. Thanks is not a good enough word.
AC10-10 PC
Fred Wright
Anonymous
Not applicable
Copy is sorted but I'm not happy. Move and rotate still seem to move only the current layer, which over 11 stories creates a few problems. Is there another technique that I am missing.
Regards
Frederick Wright
PC AC10-10
Anonymous
Not applicable
are you sure you're using the 'heavy' marquee??

when you select the marquee tool, go to the info box and click where i've highlighted with the arrow. you'll get a choice of two types of marquees; a 'single' one and a 'heavy' looking one. choose the heavy and try again... it should work. make sure all the layers that contain elements that you want copied are turned on and unlocked and all elements are unlocked(if you have anything locked that is)

bear in mind that this may not be the best way to duplicate your houses though if you go and edit them later on... you'll have to re-copy everything in the positions that you want them...
if you want to place the duplicate houses and then have the ability to edit just one and have the changes applied to all of them then the best way is to use modules and place them wherever you want them... much like using xrefs in autocad... you can module the file within itself or create a new 'site plan' file that will contain the module as many times as you want... however you'll have to module in each story one at a time... once you've moduled in each story once, you can use the 'heavy' marquee to duplicate the modules across all strories... again. you'll have to make sure all layers are on but make you groups are NOT suspended...

i hope this is of use...
marq.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
I want to use Autocad but here nearly all are Archicad users. Have used AC10 for a few months now and I kind of like it, but seems to be a touch 'quirky'. Yes I am using the heavy Marquee, but without 100% success. Have tried using xref approach, but objects vanish from trace.

I'll sit down and read the manual again from cover to cover since I am not very productive.

Thanks again
Anonymous
Not applicable
Broker wrote:
I want to use Autocad but here nearly all are Archicad users. Have used AC10 for a few months now and I kind of like it, but seems to be a touch 'quirky'. Yes I am using the heavy Marquee, but without 100% success. Have tried using xref approach, but objects vanish from trace.

I'll sit down and read the manual again from cover to cover since I am not very productive.

Thanks again
LOL all autocad users say the same! personally not having used autocad in anger i find it... well really bad i think it's a very different way of thinking between the two programs and personally, i love archicad!

anyway... either you're missing/doing something which i'm not understanding or you may have a problem with your file or even your installation... maybe one of the forum gods can help??

try opening a new file, completely clean and draw some random walls, elements, whatever, on a couple of stories and try duplicating them with the marquee... if it works, then there may be aproblem with your file, in which case ... i don't know how to fix it.. something with merging it in a new clean file i think, but don't ask me how. if it doesn't work, then either it's archicad needing re-installing or you're doing something which i'm missing?
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree. Wih Archicad that is and I'm sure it will get better. I can't understand many things with it though, too many to burden you with. I'm reading away and have already re-installed my AC10 but its still the same.
Regards
PC AC10-10
Frederick John Wright
Architect