cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Custom Curved Stairwell

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm trying to curve a stair so it will be flush with a wall, but I'm having trouble figuring out how you can change the bend of the stair.

I've seen a few forums on this using the OBJECTIVE tool, but I really haven't found anything actually describing the motions of how to do it.

Help is very much appreciated!!

Thank you in advance

Anthony
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
2nd image
Hand Built Stair-2.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just one of the Section cuts
Gerald Hoffman
Enthusiast
lec1212 wrote:
One of my adventures on Vancouver Island.
As a totally unrelated to forum side note; My son and I got stuck in somebodies sloped gravel driveway as I was trying to turn around 1/2way on the way back from Port Renfrew B.C. to Victoria.
Hope that wasn't your place:-))
lec
Lec, Well as you have been to Vancouver Island you know it is pretty big as islands go. No it wasn't my place, that would have been too big a coincidence I think. 😉. I live near Mill Bay about 45 min drive north of Victoria, not nearly as far off the beaten track as Port Renfrew. I've been out there to go fishing.

As far as your stairs go, what you illustrated is basically what I am doing now as well. I use Objective to make up stringers and use slabs and walls for my treads and risers. I basically model it as it would be built. In the end is seems to just work better than any of the Stair tools that I have seen so far as well. I used different layers for structural components and finish flooring to make it easier for editing or showing 3D views of just the structural parts if I need to.

I wonder whether anyone could actually develop a tool that would build a correct residential wood framed stair which could cover enough variations to make it useful. Generalized tools give you general results. It is why I changed to ArchiCAD from SoftPlan years ago.

Cheers,
Gerald Hoffman
“The simplification of anything is always sensational” GKC
Archicad 4.55 - 27-5030 USA
2019 MacBook Pro (64GB w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU)
Anonymous
Not applicable
"that would have been too big a coincidence I think"
Oh yeh, that was meant as joke, for sure.

"I wonder whether anyone could actually develop a tool that would build a correct residential wood framed stair which could cover enough variations to make it useful."
Your absolutely right.
My hope (I've expressed before, but got shot down), is that maybe the general concepts behind the Curtain Wall could be modified for a stair tool that came a lot closer, G.S./Ralph??

Must have been through Mill Bay on another trip back in 73 once on the way to Nanaimo from Victoria to see off some wild folks ride "Bathtubs" to North of Vancouver I think it was.
Beautiful country you live in for sure. If I was Canadian I think Vancouver Island is where I'd want to live.

Also from Ralph's post I see advantages to using Objective for Stairs.
Think I'll finally order that up from Ralph next week.

Thanks again for you help.
Take care.
Be safe out there.
lec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Gerald or Ralph
I have another question.
What is the main advantage of using Objective for stringers vs using roofs as I have done in previous posted image?
lec
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
lec1212 wrote:
What is the main advantage of using Objective for stringers vs using roofs as I have done in previous posted image?
I think it's a bigger issue than just the stringers - it all comes down to detailing. You can produce a great deal with ArchiCAD out of the box. If StairMaker's concept of a stair is the kind of thing you make, then it's a great tool. If your stairs have stringers that look like a thin roof and your treads/risers look like slabs/walls, then the roof/slab/wall tools are fine for making stairs too.

But if you subscribe to the idea that "God is in the detail", you can quickly hit barriers. I rarely use StairMaker because the end product doesn't look the way I want it to. And roofs/slabs/walls all have distinct modelling limitations - you may eventually get what you want, but it involves countless work-arounds that are painful to reproduce when the design changes.

OBJECTiVE provides raw 3D modelling tools to fill these gaps - rotation, cutting, bending, etc. - without filling your library with 'dumb' objects. The things you produce with OBJECTiVE are aware of their native form and the transformations applied to them, so they remain pliable and (more important) quantifiable, i.e. for scheduling and construction.

I have many example, but I've attached just one snapshot of a stair detail modelled with OBJECTiVE. These tools make it easy to bend and cut parts to their required shape in a way that ArchiCAD alone doesn't provide.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Software Engineer Speckle Systems