Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Cutting a hole in a roof with no overhang

Anonymous
Not applicable
If you grab the roof edge you can cut a hole in the roof but if you click the pivot line you get an atrium roof. I can't figure out how to select the roof edge and not the pivot line when there is no overhang. I can add a temporary overhang and that works but when I eliminate the overhang the hole in the roof disappears. The only thing that seems to work is to create the temporary overhang and then cut the hole and then manually move the roof edge back to the pivot line node by node which is a lot of work for something that should be simple. Is there a trick to finding the edge and not the pivot in this case?
3 REPLIES 3
Barry Kelly
That is a good point.
I have never noticed as I always tend to have some overhang.

Setting a temporary offset in the info box or roof settings dialogue works as you mentioned.
Setting that back to zero afterwards works for me (don't use 'undo').

When editing the edges manually remember you can also offset all edges at once in the pet palette.

However the solution to your problems is to select the roof then so long as you have the roof tool active you can just draw the hole that you want over the roof (the same works for slabs and fills so long as you have the correct tool active).
No need to use the pet palette at all to cut a hole.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
i7-10700 @ 2.9Ghz, 32GB ram, GeForce RTX 2060 (6GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
What version of ArchiCAD are you using? I can't replicate it on AC17 USA build 5014.

In any case, does turning off the roof pivot lines help? View> On-screen View Options> Roof Pivot Lines.

Or perhaps shortening the roof pivot line using the pet palette option, depending on your roof type?

Or just do what Barry suggests!

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I just wanted to add that when I'm drawing roofs I don't draw the pivot line the full length of what I'm referring to as a matter of habit. Instead I draw a pivot line that is maybe a tenth the length and away from hot spots just to avoid this very issue as I draw a lot of roofs that have no overhang such as with operators in SEOs.