Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Data safety - backup file glitch

Arcadia
Booster
I have noticed that when I click the save button while I have a file open the backup file does not automatically get updated. However clicking save again immediately does prompt the backup file to update. I have tested this over and over while watching the 'date/time modified' field in explorer.

Is this a bug? Anyone wanting to maximize data security should be clicking save regularly while working but I suggest clicking twice now. I just had a situation where my system crashed then when I opened archicad the recover file loaded and I clicked save but then the system crashed again corrupting my original file which then became unuseable and did not give me another recover file. Since the recover file is not retained for the next relaunch of AC all I had was my backup file which had NOT updated when I clicked save between crashes!! Fortunately I only lost 1/2 hour work but it could have been much worse. BEWARE!
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11
2 REPLIES 2
rocorona
Booster
Have you well checked? Sometimes Windows dos not update the window content. Try to save (once) and update the window content pressing the F5 key.

--Roberto Corona--
www.archiradar.com
AC18 - ITA full on Win10
I have checked. The explorer window does update automatically as I can see the main .pln file change its 'date modified' time instantly but the backup file does not. Then when I press save again the backup file then updates. Refreshing window makes no difference. Try it yourself.
V12-V27, PC: Ryzen 9 3950X, 64g RAM, RTX5000, Win 11