Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Demolition / Remodel techniques

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am fairly new to ArchiCAD. I am wondering how most people approach the problem of a remodel. Working in 2D it is very easy with 3D it seems that you would end up with a very confusing model. Any and all tips are appreciated.

Best regards - Chris
10 REPLIES 10
Vitruvius
Booster
Interesting thread.

I usually model the whole building in 3D because as was stated earlier, by the time you've finished that exercise you understand the project. To model a small building shouldn't take more than a couple of days and the basic information can be used for the renovation.

My routine has been to model the building then copy the model to a dedicated Demolition layer set. I try to keep the Demolition layer set to the bare minimum of stuff needed to provide a credible demolition set (they can, after all, go and look at the building!!). After all, the demo set really only needs a 2D representation.

I've tried keeping the existing elements et al current with the new design but it really is a logistical nightmare. You get walls with old window openings to be filled but they somehow just kind of intrude on new openings...

In the final analysis, it probably really depends on the extent of the demolition and the proposed renovations.
Cameron Hestler, Architect
Archicad 27 / Mac Studio M1 Max - 32 GB / LG24" Monitors / 14.5 Sonoma

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!