Choose your top Archicad wishes!

Read more
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Displaying stairs in plan properly

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm really new to this and need help in getting Archicad to display the plan view properly on a stair meeting a sloping wall. I've attached a simple demo of what I mean. HELP!

Archicad 12AUS, XP
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
SEO the stair with the wall. Then save the stair as LibPart. Remove the old stair.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Couldn't resist - I run into this problem all the time!

Kliment, I agree with your technique, with the following exception...

No need to save the stair separately. Just make the stair wide enough to reach across the stair well's widest point, do the solid element operation and leave it as-is. Just sayin'.

I haven't encountered this particular situation in AC12 yet. On AC9, I'd actually make a slab to use as the cut body, do the SEO, then place the slab on a 'scratch' layer I keep turned off (unless I need to see it for revision). That way, if the skewed wall moves, I can just edit the slab I used and it's up-to-date without any saving or reloading of library parts. This was necessary, of course, because in AC9 I couldn't SEO 'beyond' the back side of the wall. I know they've changed this vertically in AC12 (which is REALLY cool!! used it today!), but not sure if it works 'laterally' (didn't notice / try.. will have to look and see).

My two cents.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dag nabbit....

Just noticed in the picture the wall is CANTED. Okay... Use a mesh instead of slab as the cut body. Then the wall's sloped face can be duplicated.

Doh!

That's going to look spacey in real-world... I love it.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
No matter how you cut the Wall with the Stair in 3D, you will still have to use Lines/Fills to achieve the 2D look of the Stair you are after.
In 2D, SEOs unfortunately to not propagate themselves to the look of the affected elements.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Laszlo...I thought I was going mad!
Funny, I tried replacing the treads with slabs and had the same problem in plan view.It must be an issue with sloped elements?
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
It is rather an issue with Solid Element Operations: they have no effect on the 2D of the elements involved so you have to make any resulting changes to the 2D manually.
I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if the "Show Intersections in 3D" off of the Special Menu might help?
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Richard wrote:
I haven't tried it yet, but I wonder if the "Show Intersections in 3D" off of the Special Menu might help?
I think that is a different thing, which affects only the 3D Window.
It will show the intersection lines between two intersecting bodies (like we used to construct them in descriptive geometry class in college). But only in 3D, not in 2D.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Use the old Trim to Roof method.
Create a roof to match the slope of the wall. Use trim to roof and TRIM BASE.

When you are done trimming the stairs, you can delete the roof used to trim and the trim holds. The other advantage is that the trimmed stairs will show correctly in 2D and 3D
Trim to roof.jpg
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"