cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Starting August 6, 2024, TLS 1.2 will be the minimum required protocol version for Graphisoft products and services that require an online connection. Learn more…
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Ellipsoid stairs?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Is there any way to design a stair that follows an ellipsoid profile as opposed to a circular one?

Ellipsoid Stair question.JPG
12 REPLIES 12
Erika Epstein
Booster
Archicad's stair tool incorrectly breaks the ellipse into arc segments based on a circle. I've submitted bug reports on this, and still no solution. Interestingly, even GS's manual shows the bad results 🙂
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
Archicad's stair tool incorrectly breaks the ellipse into arc segments based on a circle. I've submitted bug reports on this, and still no solution. Interestingly, even GS's manual shows the bad results 🙂
Do you mean that it does it badly? True ellipses are not supported in any of the standard elements or GDL statements so approximation by arcs is to be expected. AFAIK the only alternative would be custom GDL code or primitives.
Erika Epstein
Booster
Matthew, it breaks the line of the 'ellipse' or 'oval' into segments of a circle's arc. Each time there is a new segment of arc, it starts with a new tread, truncating the last tread of the previous arc segment.

AC will break any line of a stair into arcs and straight lines and each section of arc or line will start with a new tread.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"