cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
2024 Technology Preview Program

2024 Technology Preview Program:
Master powerful new features and shape the latest BIM-enabled innovations

Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

Esc key doesnt work

Anonymous
Not applicable
Installed the latest Hotfix and the esc key no longer works. Have to physically go up to the tool bar and change tools to stop. The esc tool has ceased to function.

this is slowing me down as my hands almost know more keyboard shorcuts by rote than my brain can explain, but whatever the esc tool did before this "fix" it doesn't do any more.

Changed keyboards and the esc key no longer functions....

Anybody having this problem.

I reloaded the standard profile and esc key doesn't work here either.

what happened?
10 REPLIES 10
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Either quit or upgrade your Photoshop?

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was in ArchiCAD 14 when the esc didn't work. Had just loaded the Hotfix, now have to right click and cancel to get out of a tool, not push esc as always. This is using two different keyboards.

Is anyone else having this problem.

(to Link below):

"Wasn't using Photoshop, do you think that my CS suite that isn't being used, could affect my keyboard in a separate program?...really?"
Link wrote:
Either quit or upgrade your Photoshop?

Cheers,
Link.
Karl Ottenstein
No problems here. Are you sure that you do not have any other keyboard helper app loaded? Or that a system shortcut was somehow defined? Check System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts.

To isolate the issue for sure, create another non-admin user account on your machine (if you do not already have one) and log on with it to see if the Esc key works in AC there.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.7, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
You dont say if you tried it or not but unplug your keyboard and plug it back in. I know us MAC users tend to think nothing ever happens to our Macs but things do happen internally from time to time. But I never had that happen with the esc key.
schagemann
Enthusiast
this might come too late and seems obvious... but did you try to restart your mac?
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Anonymous
Not applicable
For reference, my escape key doesn't work either, gave up in the last week. Have tried all advice here except unplugging keyboard as it is a laptop and reinstalling as I am hoping the problem is not that drastic?

Any advice appreciated.

Matt
Anonymous
Not applicable
On a two different workstations
(both win7 64 bit, second generation intel i series)
I have problems with escape key.
I just reboot system and than it works again...
pretty annoying...
Anonymous
Not applicable
After intermittent working and not working, I have reluctantly been to see an Apple 'Genius' and actually I think they have found the problem. It seems to be a programme called 'Box simple share' which disabled the esc key whenever it was active in the background.

They said that it is extremely rare for one key on mac to break, usually if one goes the whole keyboard is kapput too. Found it by creating a new account and slowly activating programmes one by one in it.

Hope that helps!
Matt
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just want to second the tip above - I was having the same problem with ESC not working, checked other keyboards etc.

Quitting Box.net SimpleShare program immediately brought back my ESC key functionality. Don't know why it works, just glad it did!