Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Modeling
About Archicad's design tools, element connections, modeling concepts, etc.

External Content within Teamwork

jzarmin
Participant
Hello we are using ArchiCAD 10, Build # 1183 USA Full for Mac's.

We have brought a solo ArchiCAD file into teamwork. While the file was still a solo file, its layout pages had both internal views and views taken from external files. Some time after the project was teamworked, I noticed in the Drawing Manager that almost all of the externally referenced drawings/views were "Unavailable". The links had become broken- if I editted the original external files, the imported view within the Teamworked file could not be updated to show the new changes.

I went ahead and while signed into the teamworked file, re-imported all of the externally referenced views yesterday. The Drawing Manager showed that all these views were "OK". However after signing out at the end of yesterday and then signing back in today, once again they are all "Unavailable".

Anyone know what is going on?
Thanks for any advice!

Joe
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable
My first guess would be some kind of strange permissions issue (I assume the teamwork files are on the server).

If you "Save As..." solo project does the problem go away? In that case it would indicate a teamwork problem.

It's hard to say what might be wrong without a closer look at your set up. I will be in the city all next week if you think it would worth me coming by.
jzarmin
Participant
Hi,
If I save the problematic teamwork file as a solo project, the problem still persists when I open the solo project.

If, however, I fix the problem first; relink the external file (within the drawing manager window) to the problematic teamwork file and then save the problematic teamwork file as a solo project, the link still maintains (the problem doesn't reappear) when I open the solo project.

I do believe it has something to do with teamwork, though. We've never experienced this link breaking w/ a solo project unless the file / folder organization has been moved around and paths are lost.

Joe
be sure to check the file access permissions on the external files. Are they set to RW or just read-only?
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-5060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.6
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Another thing to look at is the RELATIVE PATH to these files from EACH of the workstations that are opening the file.

For example, if WS#1 shows the server as mapped drive W: and WS#2 shows it as Q:, problems may occur.

Also, if you are NOT mapping drives and finding them only by MY NETWORK PLACES... you may have trouble.
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
jzarmin
Participant
Is there a separate access permissions setting within teamwork? Because the access permissions otherwise must be set to Read and Write since I can edit the external file with ease.

For now we do have a workaround which is to go and keep relinking the external file from within the drawing organizer within the teamworked file whenever the link breaks. In other words, this is only posing a minor inconvenience. But it still is weird!
I wonder if this might have to do with a user's Teamwork preference file? In this case the solution would be to delete the Teamwork preference file of each team mate. See this link.
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004
jzarmin
Participant
Thanks Laura,

Regarding finding the preference files, are you on a Mac?

If you are, where do you find the first item in the path you listed (C:/Documents and Settings....)?

Thanks!

Joe
Sorry, PC -- but Ben (who helped solve my problem in the linked thread) is a mac user -- can any other mac users out there assist?
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC27 US (5003) on Mac OS Ventura 13.6.2
Started on AC4.0 in 91/92/93; full-time user since AC8.1 in 2004